Chapter 2

I have to take two different bus lines to get to Green River Community College, which means I don't have much time to get ready. So, I  threw on a pair of jeans and my favorite blue sweater before grabbing my bookbag and jogging out the door.

I'm so close to finishing my AA degree. Tonight's English Lit class is my last requirement. Then, I'll transfer to online classes at the University of Washington for my bachelor's. 

Most kids my age have already graduated college, but I've still got a ways to go. 

My mom's in no condition for me to leave, so I'm happy to live at home and work at Mike's while earning my degree.

When I finally arrive, the emerging evening is a little damp and chilly, but I love this kind of Washington weather (it's an excuse to bundle up in cute layers).

The community college is a collection of plain brown wood-paneled buildings nestled into a small Northwest forest of cedar, evergreens, buckeye, and pine. 

I slip into the flow of bodies on the wide and winding pebbledash walkway that connects each building. It's a new quarter, so the walkway is extra full of people.

My heart is fluttering with excitement because I've been waiting to get into this class for over nine months. It's just an introductory English class, but for some reason, it fills up so fast it has a two-quarter waiting list (minimum). 

I'm headed for building "H" and there are only a few more minutes until I'm tardy. 

The pathway dips down towards the squat c-shaped structure with a gaggle of girls in front chatting and smoking e-cigarettes. 

"I know, I'm so excited!" A blonde girl with heavy eye makeup exclaims as I near the door.

"How long have you been waiting?" Her redheaded friend asks through a puff of fruity-smelling vapor.

Both girls are dressed up like they're about to go out on the town, which strikes me as odd. 

"Like, forever," Blondie replies with a roll of her black-rimmed eyes.

"I know! Right?" A brunette in skin-tight jeans and low-cut sweater chimes in. "I can't wait to meet Mr. Benedict." 

"Totally," the redhead agrees.

I leave them behind and walk through the plain brown door. 

On the other side, is a tiered room with desks stepping down into a small theater-like area. 

There's also a series of whiteboards and a desk next to a short wood podium at the front of the room. 

Oddly enough, almost everyone in my night class is a woman and they're all dressed and done up like they're expecting a hot date.

I find one of the few unoccupied desks in the room and take a seat. 

After a few seconds, a statuesque girl with coffee-colored skin and big brown eyes settles into the empty chair next to me. 

She offers me a shy smile, which I return. I immediately like her low-key leggings and stylish sweater with ballet flats. She's not wearing any makeup, but she's such a natural beauty that doesn't need any.

"I'm Keira," She says with a warm smile.

"Moira," I answer back.

"Moira?" She asks. "That's pretty."

"Thanks," I reply and point to the lemon-colored leather bag resting against the legs of her chair. "I like your bag."

"Thanks, I thrifted it at a Good Will in Seattle." She gushes.