Chapter 36

I swear, I can feel the moment our hearts sync as Will stares into my center. 

"Moira," his voice rumbles in his chest and tickles my insides. 

I chance it and press my lips to his. 

Will's grip around me tightens as our mouths move with curious hunger. We're breaking every friendship boundary we've tentatively set and the rush of naughty excitement lights my body on fire.

Will's hand cradles my jaw to deepen our kiss as his tongue breaches my lips. His sensual mouth drinks down my greedy moan as his fingers dig into my waist. 

When I feel the press of Will's erection on my belly a whole new kind of heat floods my veins. Our unfulfilled desire has ignited a blaze that's going to burn out of control at any second.

"We can't do this here," Will pants against my swollen lips. "I'm sorry, Moira, I shouldn't have let that go as far as it did." 

Disappointment douses my desire and I wriggle out of his arms to put some much-needed distance between us. 

He's right, of course. We can't rip each other's clothes off in the Gotlieb's basement. No matter how much I want to see what he looks like under that sweater. 

"So, I wanted to ask you something," Will clears his throat and smoothes the front of his shirt while I openly stare at the enticing bulge in his dark wash jeans. "And I completely understand if you say no because I feel like I'm putting a lot of pressure on you with this request."

"I'll be the judge of that," I smile up into his kind eyes. 

"It's a wedding," he says.

I blink to try and decipher what he means. I'm pretty sure there's no way I just got proposed to while wearing athleisure wear and mashed potato bits.

"It's a family member's wedding," Will clarifies quickly. "I'd like you to be my plus one to someone else's wedding. It's going to be a pretty fancy affair and I'd like you to come as my date, Moira." 

"It's a family member's wedding?" I nodded stiffly, waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

"Which means Rory will likely be there," Will supplies. "But I know my cousin, and she'll have Rory ejected from the venue before he's allowed to cause a scene or harass you. And I promise I will not leave your side the entire evening, apart from bathroom breaks, of course." 

I smile in spite of the nerves knotting my innards. 

Rory didn't need to cause a scene. All he needed to do was seed the rumor that Will was my professor and that our illicit relationship had cost him his job. 

"One more thing," Will's expression grows apologetic. "The wedding is on Christmas Eve. But, my cousin is getting married in Ballard, so I thought we could make a day of it and go to visit your mom at Serenity Rose before the big event?" 

"Christmas Eve?" I repeat.

"I'm sure you already have plans-"

"I don't," I whisper and hug my ribs because I'm suddenly freezing without Will's arms. "It's just, I hadn't really thought about Christmas. With my mom in rehab and all, it was just too much." 

Will leans in to brush my lips with a sweet kiss. 

"Spend Christmas with me," he offers. "I'll be spending the morning with my mom and my sister, and I know they would love to have you. I'm sure we could go and visit your mom again on Christmas day, too."  

"With you?" I squeak. 

"Yes, with me," Will chuckles. "You will have graduated by then and the wedding will probably run pretty late into the evening. So, you can stay with me at my condo and we can spend Christmas together."