Chapter 13

My feet hurt so bad when I get home from my double shift that I could hardly stand. 

Thankfully, Mike gave me some leftovers to take home because I couldn't even drag my exhausted butt to the grocery store. 

My mom was lounging on the couch and watching TV when I stumbled in.

"You know," her passive-aggressive tone makes the hairs on my arms prickle inside my rain jacket. "You could at least call me to let me know that you're going to disappear with Keri for days on end." 

"I was working a double shift Mom," I remind her with an impatient sigh. "I left you a note about it next to the phone."

"You're a little old for acting like a bratty teen," she says in a snotty sing-song.

"Yeah, you too," I grumble as I open the fridge to put our leftovers away. "Have you eaten, Mom?" 

"No, I'm not that hungry," my mom answers, staring straight ahead at the TV.

"There's meatloaf from the diner in the fridge," I tell her. "I'll get to the store tomorrow."

"I haven't seen you all weekend," she moans. "Let's watch a movie."

"I really, really wish I could Mom," my stomach twists as her face sinks. "But I have a test tomorrow, and I need to study."

A wave of guilt crashes over me. 

I haven't been around much because of work and school. 

If left alone to her own devices, my mom's mind can drift back to the constant craving she can't seem to quit. 

"But," I try to compromise, "I have tomorrow night off and we can spend the whole night together. We can make dinner and watch whatever you want. Just you and me. A girl's night."

"That sounds good," my mom's smile doesn't reach her eyes.

"Thanks, Mom," I sigh. "I'm really sorry about tonight." 

I know I shouldn't have to apologize for studying and taking responsibility for my life, but I am.

She waves me off and I know I've lost her. 

I sigh (again) and head for my room to finish reading and put myself to bed. 

In the morning, all seems to be forgotten when I get up to find that my mom has eaten most of the leftover meatloaf. 

That's a small relief, there was a time when I had to beg her to eat anything. 

She's still in bed by the time I'm dressed and ready to run out the door, so I leave her another note to remind her that I'll be going to the store after work. 

The day passes by quickly and I managed to finish rereading Act One by the time I got off the bus at Green River Community College. 

Unfortunately, my stomach is a pit of gurgling lava that burns my insides whenever I think about Mr. Benedict. 

So I focus on the fact that he's my teacher. I don't need him to be my friend, I just need a good grade.

I arrive a little early, but the room is unlocked, so I'm able to get myself situated before the test starts. 

Mr. Benedict breezes into the room in a striped button-down shirt and jeans that show off his lean build and squared shoulders. On his way to the dais, he runs a hand through his styled hair and I'm pretty sure a collective sigh of admiration ripples through the room.

"Good evening everyone," he begins. "As you know, we have our first test tonight. It will hopefully be an easy one if you've been paying attention to my lectures."