Chapter 14

After clocking out, I head for Mr. Benedict's booth.

Mary, one of the l other waitresses at Mike's Diner, is leaning over her table and shamelessly flirting with my teacher.

She's an attractive older woman with an hourglass figure and crow's feet under her bobbed blonde hair, but Mary's also a married woman.

"You sure I can't get you anything else, hon?" She asks in a tone as suggestive as her posture. "You don't see anything you might want for later?"

"Nope, just coffee for me," Mr. Benedict's pensive oceanic eyes lock on mine. "Moira? Would you like anything?"

"I'd love a Coke," I serve her a stern look. "Thanks, Mary."

"Sure thing, sugar," she shrugs and saunters away.

"Is that all you want?"Mr. Benedict's lopsided smile is enough to make my heart flipflop.

"Yeah," I snort and shrug. "I'm a cheap date."

As soon as the words come out a fierce blush floods my cheeks.

"I, I didn't mean," I stammer like an idiot. "I just meant that-"

"It's fine," Mr. Benedict holds up a hand for me to stop, saving us both the embarrassment. "I know what you meant. Besides on a teacher's salary, Coke might be best."

"Oh, don't worry!" I shake my head. "My order is on the house."

"Oh, really?" One of his brows quirks playfully.

"I don't want to brag," I whisper behind my hand. "But I know people."

My teacher's unguarded laughter shakes his muscled chest under his sweater in the most distracting way.

"Here you go!" Mary sets my Coke on the table.

"Thanks." We say at the same time.

"Jinx!" I joke while pointing to my beverage. "I'd say buy me a Coke, but this was free."

"So, I can speak?" Mr. Benedict's laughter becomes a curious look.

"About my essay?" I prompt. "Sure."

"Yes," He coughs and shakes his head. "So, hopefully, you read my notes?"

"I did."

"Are you open to revising your work?" Mr. Benedict asks. "I don't often make the offer, but..."

"But what?" I press.

"But, it was a damn good essay," He says quietly. "You're a very smart young woman Moira and I don't want one grade to tarnish what you've worked so hard for. However, that's not the only thing I wanted to talk to you about."

"Oh?" I squeak.

I break our unfathomable connection for a sip of my soda. It's much easier to still my thumping heart if I don't look directly at him.

"No," I can hear the smile in Mr. Benedict's voice as he takes a measured sip of his coffee. "I wanted to know why you're not considering a University experience. Don't get me wrong, extension classes will give you the same level of education, but you won't be able to focus on your studies if you're still working."

"I can't afford the loans," I hedge carefully.

"You are smart enough to get a scholarship, Moira." He urges gently. "You're smart enough to probably win several scholarships. I graded an essay this weekend that started with the phrase Shakespeare is good. That's the level of aptitude I'm used to dealing with, but you, you are special. Someone with your intelligence and work ethic could go Ivy League if you wanted something like that."