Chapter 16

It took three buses and four hours, but at least I made it to the Seattle Center early. As promised, I skipped class so I could help out Mrs. Gotlieb at her super-fancy event.  

The Seattle Center is a lush public space near downtown with museums, theatres, gardens, the Space Needle, and so much more. Thankfully, it also has a covered walkway around the perimeter, which allowed me to avoid the drizzly weather on my way to the Opera House. 

The glass-paneled building is nestled in a far corner of the Seattle Center and it's reflecting the afternoon sunset in a brilliant array of pinks and oranges and yellows when I arrive. 

Dashing around the puddles on the sidewalk and past the main doors, I made my way to an alley full of dumpsters and service doors. A raggedy trail of cigarette butts led me past the trash bins to the kitchen doors and staff entrance.  

"Moira!" Mrs. Gotlieb rushed me as soon as I stepped inside. "You're the first here, I knew I could count on you! I'm going to need your help with unpacking the wine, c'mon."

The kitchen is shut down because Mrs. Gotlieb and her crew do most of the food preparation off-site. 

Keri's mom put me to work opening endless boxes of white and red vino. I had no idea about the vintage, but the bottles sure looked fancy and expensive.

"Hi, I'm Tag," I was startled by a friendly voice in the middle of my task. "Oh! Sorry to make you jump, sweetie!"

In front of me is one of the prettiest men I've ever seen. 

I know pretty isn't usually an adjective associated with men, but Tag's elfin features and high cheekbones are so delicate, he could be a living doll. I also love how his big brown eyes sparkle with feisty humor.

"Aren't you a pretty little thing!" He giggles and bends down to pick up a bottle out of the box. "Careful girl. This wine cost more than my last wig!"

Tag's taller than me by a few inches, but lean all over with dark brown hair arranged in tidy spikes (and it didn't look like a wig). 

"Cat got your tongue?" He throws me a cheeky wink. "I get that a lot." 

"You might be the most interesting person I've ever met," I finally get the nerve up to speak. "And it's only been thirty seconds. Oh, and I'm Moira" 

"Aw," Tag tilts his angular face to assess me. "I like you, Moira. Let's gab." 

While we worked Tag told me that he lived in Seattle and performed three nights a week with a drag burlesque group. He was so fun to talk to that I didn't even bother chumming up to the other wait staff as they filter in.

Close to nine PM, Mrs. Gotlieb got everyone's attention.

"All right guys, we have a big night!" Keri's mom calls out and claps her hands to gather her staff around. "I know you all know the drill, but we have a new face with us tonight, so let me introduce you to Moira."

No one cares, but Tag throws his arm around my shoulders to give me a quick hug.

"A heads up," Mrs. Gotlieb continues. "The organizer of this event is Hyacinth Smithe, and if she addresses you, or if she asks you any questions, please refer her to me. I'm going to have the six of you on my right side on wine and spirits and the rest of you on hors d'oeuvres ok?"

Tag and I quietly high-five because we both got booze duty. 

"I will send each of you on your breaks in staggered pairs," Keri's mom went on. "If you need to use the bathroom, please tell me so that I know where you are. And finally, this is a wealthy crowd of personalities, and when they get sauced they can get handsy and talkative. If a guest makes you uncomfortable, come to me and I will handle it."