Chapter 49

Adelle plopped down in her seat with a scowl after Rory had vacated the vicinity.

"I was in the bathroom for five minutes!" She huffs angrily. "I can't believe he had the balls to try something at Cassie's wedding. Ugh, are you guys alright?"

"I'm sorry, Moira," Will seethes through clenched teeth. "He's trashed, so who knows what the hell he's going to do tonight."

"You smelled it too?" Adelle gasped and pinched her button nose. "I feel like Whorey's boozy stench is lingering in the table linens. Ugh, it reminds me of you-know-who."

Will shifts in his seat, but he doesn't answer. I can only assume Adelle meant their father.

"I think the only person who doesn't notice the smell, is Rory," I nodded glumly.

"Poor Bianca," Adelle's expression crumbled as if she meant it. "He's put her through so much."

It was an interesting take to be sure, but I admired Adelle's compassion.

In my opinion, Bianca was belittling herself by staying with a habitual cheater like Rory (not to mention, she then took her anger out on the wrong people). She had the agency to leave him and demand better.

The band struck up one of my favorite songs, flooding my body with sunny endorphins.

"Holy cow!" I squealed. "I love this song! Will, do you want to dance?"

"Of course," Will is grinning when I turn around. He's already up on his feet and offering me a hand to help me up. "I didn't know you liked, Walk The Moon."

"Shut Up and Dance With Me!" I sing along to the lyrics already pumping through my blood.

Will takes my hand and we rush to the floor to join a few other couples enjoying the spunky rock song.

He spins me into a fast-moving dance that looks like he's had some sort of professional training. Keri and I have done our fair share of online dance challenges, so I'm ready to match his moves with some sexy flourishes of my own.

Even better, he's a brilliant dancer and so much fun! Will's confidence and our infectious laughter are attracting more people to join us on the dancefloor.

Four songs later, we're exhausted and ready to dig into the meals being served, so Will and I head back to our table.

We find Hyacinth and Adelle chatting excitedly with a very tall gentleman that I don't recognize when we reach our seats.

"Moira," Hyacinth gestures to the stately older gentleman towering over her. "I'd like to introduce you to my brother Charles Smithe."

The gentleman's deep blue eyes crinkle behind his wireframed glasses as he smiles warmly at us.

Mr. Smithe might not know me, but I definitely recognize him from my past. Only, I knew him as just Rory's rich daddy when we were in high school.

"Hello, Mr. Smithe," I hold out a trembling hand for him to shake.

Hyacinth's brother looks like a well-aged version of his son, but the insufferable entitlement that Rory embodies is absent.

In fact, Mr. Smithe seems absolutely delighted to be meeting me.

"Hello!" His deep timber is booming while he enthusiastically pumps my arm. "Hye has told me so many wonderful things about you, Moira. Will, great to see you, son."

Mr. Smithe embraces Will briefly, clapping him firmly on the back with an affectionate expression that tugs at my heart.

"Moira," Will smiles wide. "Charles here is my favorite uncle."