Chapter 31

The air is so thick with tension I could hardly breathe. Will was driving us to the hospital but we hadn't spoken a word about the confrontation we just had with his cousin. 

"I'm sorry for asking this," Will's tone is dark. "But did the two of you ever date in high school?" 

"Nope," I answer. "I don't think Rory even knew my name in high school. He's asked me out, but that's a hard pass for me."

"Listen," Will's jaw clenches. "Rory told his parents that he was on academic probation because of his grades and his drinking. That's why I was letting him stay with me. I thought he was working on getting sober so he could go back to school. However, I found out about a month ago that a few guys in his fraternity, including Rory, were accused of drugging and assaulting a young woman at a party off campus."

I slide down in my seat at this information. My mind snaps back to the night that Keri and I saw Rory and his friends out in Auburn. 

"He's dangerous," I mutter in shock. "I mean, I knew he was a smarmy jerk, but this is a whole new level of bad. Even for Rory." 

We pull into the hospital parking lot and Will slows down to look for a spot. 

"One day," Will sighs heavily. "Rory won't be able to buy his way out of trouble. I'm not sure what's going to happen then, but I know it won't be good for anyone." 

"Will?" I wait until he's parked the car to ask. "Did you mean what you said? Did you really quit?"

His toned chest heaves under Will's button-down shirt, straining against the silken material in the most appealing way. 

"I was going to tell you," he explains. "But my resignation isn't effective until the end of the quarter, so I was waiting for the right time. I suppose there really isn't a right time to tell someone you want to date that you just quit your job, but, needs must. 

I blink and stare like a goon.

"Besides, it was for the best," Will goes on. "I wasn't happy teaching, and I've met someone who inspired me to explore a new career path."

I don't know who moved first, but our lips meet with a new kind of spark, one that makes my heart erupt against my ribs.

"This is still ill-advised," Will mutters against my mouth and pulls away. "If Rory does report us, it could still get you in trouble, and I do not want that. We just need to be careful until the end of the quarter."

"Easier said than done," I pant and nod. "We should go." 

My mom is awake when I let myself into her shared room. 

She looks worn out despite having slept so much the day before. The dark circles under my mom's eyes have grown wider and deeper than I've ever seen them. Worry and remorse crease her brow as she presses her lips into a fragile line.

"Hi, honey," she croaks.

"Mom!" I rush to her bedside and throw my arms around her for a gentle hug.

"You must be so mad at me," she mutters.

"I'm not mad, I'm just, scared," I whisper through tears. "Please don't ever do that again, don't ever! Whatever it is, we can get through it."

We hug and cry for a while, just grateful to hold one another.  

"How are you doing?" I ask finally.

"I'd say fine, but that's a lie," she replies glumly. "I'm sorry honey, I'm so, so sorry." 

My mom's voice trails off and I get the feeling she's just as tired of making excuses as I am of hearing them.