Chapter 30

A shaft of light bakes my crusty eyes open as I slowly remember why I am waking up in an unfamiliar bed. 

Everything comes flooding back all at once and I sit up to look around. 

My mom is in the hospital and I spent the night in Will's bedroom.  

There's a collection of framed photos decorating the top of his dresser and a lot more books on the shelves lining the far wall. His style is modern and minimal, but very warm and inviting, just like him.

I crawl out from under the heavy duvet and scurry through the chilly morning air to the bathroom. After brushing my teeth and combing my hair, I find a text from Will on my cellphone. 

'Morning,' it reads. 'Rory's still asleep, so it's safe to come out for some coffee or breakfast.'

My tummy gurgles greedily as I rush to get myself dressed while pulling my unwashed hair into a sloppy bun on the top of my head. 

The lock clicks and I gingerly push the door to Will's bedroom open. 

I creep downstairs in my stocking feet to find Will in his kitchen wearing a pair of sweatpants and a thin t-shirt that conforms to every muscle in his shredded chest. 

Hell, I knew the man could fill out a sweater, but I had no idea what he was working with underneath. Will was sheer sculpted perfection (with a six-pack). 

The cool morning light pouring through his kitchen window made his eyes sparkle like sapphires and highlighted the strokable blonde scruff on his chin.   

"Morning," Will's mouth spreads into a boyish grin that dimples his cheek. "How did you sleep?" 

"Surprisingly well," I smiled and inhale the notes of caramel in the fresh coffee he was already brewing. "Gosh, that smells heavenly." 

"Would you like a cup?" Will offers. "I can boil some water for tea if you'd prefer." 

"Coffee is life," I mumble while trying to stifle a yawn. 

"Cream?" Will chuckles and opens one of the sleek dark wood cupboards. "Sugar?" 

He reached up to fetch a mug from a neat row, but my eyes zeroed in on the appealing dimples exposed on Will's lower back. His paper-thin t-shirt rode up just enough to show off the two perfect indentations sitting right above a pair of designer boxer briefs. 

When I drag my eyes from the toned shape of his posterior, Will's looking over his shoulder right at me. 

"Both," I answer as a blush roasts my cheeks and chest while I pretend to admire his smart chrome appliances against the muted green tiles of his kitchen. "I take cream and sugar."

Will closes the cupboard and pours me a cup of coffee with a bashful smile on his face. 

"You're beautiful when you blush, Moira," he says, handing me the mug. 

His profound eyes linger on mine before he fetches a carton of cream and a small bowl of sugar for me to customize my drink. 

Will tops up his own cup of coffee before we settle in at his kitchen table. 

"Have you given any consideration to the offer to get your mom into Serenity Rose?" Will stirs his coffee and asks. 

"Yes," I hold onto my mug with both hands to savor its warmth. "I'd be stupid to say no, but, Will, this is a huge favor. One that I don't think I can ever repay."

"Moira," he replies softly. "You don't owe me anything. I want to help your mom get the help she needs. This is exactly why my mother started the Second Chances program. And speaking of, we should probably go see your mom at the hospital first thing. Then, we can head to Seattle to sit down with my mother. Sound good?"

"I need to shower," I look down at my casual outfit. "And change." 

"No," Will chuckles and sips his coffee. "You're fine in what you have on." 

"Woah!" A new voice crows from the doorframe.

We turn to find Rory in his pajama pants and no shirt. His bare chest is taut and toned, just like his cousin's, but his self-satisfied smirk makes my skin crawl as he strolls into the kitchen.

"Is this the important meeting you had yesterday, Fitz?" Rory laughs disparagingly. "Wow, it must've been an all-nighter." 

"Gross," I mutter at Rory's bizarre interest in us. 

"Morning, Moira," Rory is enjoying himself as he saunters over to get himself a mug. 

"Hi, Rory," I frown into my coffee.

He's reveling in his misguided assumptions, and it's boiling my blood.

"So, correct me if I'm wrong, but Moira here, is your student," Rory takes a seat at the table to flash his bleached teeth at us. "Isn't that right, Fitz?"

"Yes," Will's reply is both measured and gruff.

"Help me understand then," Rory's grin grows wider. "Are students allowed to sleep with their professors?"

"Nothing happened," I assert. "Will was helping me out with a family issue and I stayed here in a room, by myself, with the door locked."

"Well, get used to family issues with this one, Fitz," Rory's cruel cackles prickle goosebumps on my flesh as he tugs his head in my direction. "This one's got a whole bag full of drama you don't know about."

I was about to say something terrible, but I'm cut off by a very angry Will.

"Don't talk to her like that," he growls in a tone that gets Rory's attention.

"Getting a little defensive, Fitz?" Rory taunts his cousin like he's trying to start a fight. "I'm not telling you anything this town doesn't already know. You picked the wrong stray to rescue."

Will's chair screeches on the hardwood when he flies up to confront Rory. 

Hooking a hand under Rory's naked arm, Will heaves him off his chair to send his cousin stumbling into the wall. 

"Keep talking, Rory!" Will shouts. "Keep talking and I will too!" 

"You'll what?" Rory shoves his chest against Will's like some sort of deranged monkey.

"Keep talking," Will repeats with a menacing sneer. "And maybe I'll talk about why you're on academic probation. Maybe I'll talk to your dad about what you and your frat brothers are accused of." 

Rory's whole demeanor changes and his face falls into a bone-chilling expression that makes me shrink in my chair. 

"Get out!" Will thunders.

"What?" Rory shouts.

"You heard me," Will exclaims. "Get out of my house. I don't want you here anymore."

"Woah, Fitz, woah," Rory holds up his hands in surrender. "Let's not get hasty. I was just kidding."

"What you said wasn't funny," Will folds his arms across his strapping chest and deadpans. "I want you out by the end of the day."

"Fine!" Rory shouts in his cousin's face. "Wait until the school finds out you've been banging your student. No wonder you get such good grades, Moira."

Fear pierces my heart, spreading the poison of Rory's hateful comment to my extremities. 

Answering his jabs would only be giving in to his games. I know I didn't sleep my way through school, and I don't need to explain myself to anyone (least of all, Rory). 

"I already tendered my resignation," Will laughs bitterly. "And if you tell the school, I don't think they'd believe a fuckup like you, anyway."

Rory yells something unintelligible before stomping up the stairs and slamming the door to his room. 

"C'mon, Moira," Will glowers. "Get your things, we should head to the hospital."