Chapter 21

His tousled dark blonde hair and toned shoulders perfectly complimented the dark blue blazer he was wearing. Mr. Benedict's smile is warm, but his eyes are tight with worry as he watched me approach.

"Hello Moira," his warm voice feels like a protective hug.

I realize in real-time how much I'm going to miss the tiny shiver of excitement that runs through me every time he says my name and it hurts more than I want to admit. 

"Hello Will," I try and keep my voice light.

"You weren't in class last night," he scrutinizes my face.

"I had some, uh, personal stuff," I hedge, "Come up." 

"Oh," he nods and frowns.

Will rubs the attractive scruff on his chin as if he's deep in thought. 

"This personal stuff," he says carefully, "Do you want to talk to someone about it?"

My heart breaks all over as I remember that I have to tell him that I'm quitting his class. 

I don't like disappointing people, but failing in the eyes of someone like Will feels like a whole other level of lousy.

No wonder I didn't let myself think about it until now.

"Yes, but it's not really something I want to go into," I tell him with my voice barely above a whisper. "It's complicated."

"As a professor, I like to think that I can handle complicated concepts," his optimistic expression is adorable. 

"I'm sure you can," I tell him. "But, there's something else that I need to say first."

"Yes?" He gestured to the bench seat opposite him.

I lower myself into the booth, my eyes downcast and my thoughts rushing. 

I can feel Mike staring at us through the kitchen window, but I don't want to walk away from Mr. Benedict. This may be the only chance I get to explain things to Will, and I don't want to waste it.  

"I can't come back to class," I blurt out as tears burn my eyes. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Benedict."

"I was afraid of something like that," Will shakes his head like he's disappointed in me while I die a little inside. "You know there are only weeks left until you're done, right? Are you sure you can't come back?"

"I'm sure," my lower lip is trembling dangerously.  

"Well, I'm sorry, Moira," Mr. Benedict replies with a shake of his head. "But that's just not good enough."

My head snaps up as I blink through my tears to study his compassionate expression.

"You are one of the smartest women I've ever had the pleasure of teaching," he continues. "And I think you're doing yourself a disservice by dropping out now. Frankly, I can't stand by while your potential goes to waste."

"You don't understand-" I insist.

"What if I offered an alternative?" Mr. Benedict leans over the table to cut me off. 

"I, I don't understand?" I stutter as the butterflies in my stomach irritate my insides. 

"What if I said you could finish my class from home?" He replies quickly. 

I blink a few times to try and understand what he's offering.

"I would say that's probably not possible?" I reply. "I mean, how am I supposed to take tests, or the final exam, for that matter, from home?"