Chapter 18

Banished to the kitchen like some kind of scullery maid, I was on dish duty while the rest of my colleagues made up for my absence. 

Like a true friend, Tag kept me company whenever he went on break. His stories of the sloppy drunk ladies hitting on each other's husbands almost managed to fix my foul mood (almost).

If I wasn't in trouble, how come, Bianca, didn't have to apologize? I know the answer, of course. She was invited and I was a waitress. 

Thankfully, I was released to help my colleagues clean up after the party.

Tag was helping me close down the folding tables when a familiar voice called for everyone's attention.

"Thank you, all, for making tonight a wild success!" Hyacinth's throaty voice echoed into the vaulted ceilings of the Opera House lobby. "Your tireless work to keep my guest's wine glasses full has helped us raise over three hundred thousand dollars for Serenity Rose. To show my appreciation, I'd like to tip each of you two hundred dollars."

A chorus of cheers and hoots filled the space in an enthusiastic choir.

Hyacinth Smithe makes her way around the room, handing everyone a small white envelope. 

When she gets to me, she gives me a playfully shrewd look.

"Where'd you disappear to Moira?" Hyacinth's sly grin is contagious. "I was hoping to introduce you to my son."

"Kitchen duty," I duck my head.

"Oh?" Her laughter is priceless. "I heard you had a run-in with that spoiled brat, Bianca Howe."

Tag's eyes bulge out of his head at the juicy gossip. 

I, however, feel terrible, because that means Mrs. Gotlieb probably had to explain to her boss why she was down one server.

"There's a little something extra in your here for having to deal with that pathetic mean girl." Hyacinth hands me an envelope.

"Thank you," I whisper while tucking it into my pocket.

Ms. Smithe nods and walks off while I remain frozen in place. 

"Girl, what kind of drama did you forget to tell me about?" Tag's voice rises with every word. 

"It was nothing," I shrug. "Some girl accused me of taking too long with her wine glass."

"Ugh, gross," Tag says with a melodramatic roll of his eyes. "Is that why you were in the kitchen all night?"

"Yeah," I giggle at the ridiculous face Tag is making. "Mrs. Gotlieb put me there after a handsome stranger corrected Bianca's accusations and saved my butt."

"Um, who's handsome?" Tag squeals.

"The handsome man isn't the point," I assure him.

"Look, I've spent hours listening to boring rich ladies talk about taffeta while their husbands grab my ass!" Tag complains loudly. "I need this. I need to believe in handsome princes. Give me a little fairy dust, please, girl!"

"Fine," I concede. "A handsome prince road to my aide and vanquished the evil queen Bianca. The end."

"I'm a handsome prince?" A velvety voice sends me into near cardiac arrest.

Tag and I turn simultaneously to find Will's athletic frame shaking with gentle laughter. 

"No! I was just telling a story," I stammer. "I mean, yes, you are handsome, but that's not the point."