Chapter 10

"What happened to you?" Keri's voice is strained with concern at the sight of my tear-stained face.

"It's nothing," I mumble climbing into the passenger's seat. "I got a bad grade on my paper."

"You got a bad grade?" Keri's eyes widen and she swivels to look out the window of her car. "Did hell freeze over? Because my dad hasn't put the snow tires on the car yet!"

"Not funny," I grumble and click the seatbelt into place. "Can we just go?"

"Sure," she's using the same measured tone she gives Joey when he's mid-meltdown. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," I huff before exploding. "It's just so unfair! I know I wrote a good paper. That jerk gave me a bad grade because I got sassy on the first day of class!"

"Hottie McHotpants gave you a bad grade because you sassed him?" She pulled away from the curb.

"I don't want to talk about it!" I am making no sense.

"Well, I hope this mood is gone by the time we go out tonight," Keri says, her eyes fixed on the road. "Use this anger to fuel your passion to party!"

"Believe me, I will," I answer firmly while concentrating on the rain.

"So, do you have my dress?" Keri changes the subject to get me out of my funk.

"It's in the back," I motion toward the garment bag I tossed into the backseat.

"Yay!" She squeals in delight. "Let's get you back to my house and I'll do your makeup."

"Perfect," I grumble and slump in the seat.

The Gotlieb's van rushes through the rainy streets while Keri keeps promising that little fun is all I need to numb the sting of my bad grade.

After sprinting from the car through the rainy downpour, we tumble into the Gotlieb's front door giggling like kids. 

Keri oohed and ahhed over the reflective green snakeskin print of her dress as she zipped it over her hips. 

Her hair was already styled in a playful bob of curls that barely fit under the hood I sewed into the collar. My beatie was so beautiful that I fully planned on employing her as a model (if I ever got my fashion brand off the ground, that is).  

On the bathroom counter, Keri sets out glasses, jars, tubes, and cubes of different colors and sizes, all meant to alter someone's face. 

I eye the instruments of torture skeptically, but thankfully, Keri has me close my eyes while she's working. 

So, of course, my silly mind drifted back to Mr. Benedict.

A small part of me didn't want to go back into that classroom or face the devastatingly handsome man that gave me the lowest grade in my educational history. 

That's crazy, though. I needed his class to graduate and I've worked too damn hard to just walk away because I was throwing a hissy fit about my grade. 

"Ok Moira, take a look!" Keri exclaims.

I blink to be sure the mysterious beauty in the mirror is me. 

Keri made my green eyes pop against the smudged royal blue liner rimming my lids. The rest of my makeup is simple, but it's enhanced my natural look just enough to make me feel pretty.

"Oh, Keri!" I breathe. "It's perfect!"

"I know silly." She jokes. "Now for your hair!"

Keri sweeps my mane back from my face to pile my hair into a messy bun that looks too cool to be accidental.