Chapter 37

Like all of our other stolen kisses, my mind wipes as I lose myself in the heady passion we can no longer deny. The heat sweeps my body and buckles my knees, but Will is right there to catch me. 

His steadfast hands are holding me up against his car as we sink into the embrace with fervent sighs and anguished moans. 

When we come up for air, gasping and guttural, Will doesn't look the least bit sorry for our frantic, and quite frankly, risky public actions.

"I need to get ahold of myself," he chuckles.

"I'm not complaining," I murmur.

Reluctantly, Will sets me down on the cold ground as reality sinks in. He unlocks his car using his key fob and I step aside for him to climb in. 

As soon as the engine starts, he's rolled the window down. 

"I'll call you tonight?" Will's smile is shy.

"Yes, please," I nod eagerly.

"Go inside before you catch a cold," Will replies through a cagey chuckle.

"I want to see you off," I insist.

"Your eyelids are turning blue," Will retorts. 

Actually, I'm shivering like a chihuahua inside Mr. Gotlieb's large down coat. Bobbing my head in defeat, I take a step back and offer a polite wave. 

"Hey," Will leans out his window and beams his movie star smile. "I miss you already." 

My heart rate quickened and I caught my breath at the heady rush of emotions he just stirred up. 

"Me too," I gulp. "Drive safe, Will. And wish your mom and sister a Happy Thanksgiving for me, please." 

He hesitates for a moment as his empathetic eyes tighten at my forced smile. I know this pains me just as much as him. I don't know what it is about Will, but the more time we spend together, the harder it is to say goodbye. 

He rolls up his window as soon as I turn and toddle over the frosty walkway back to the Gotlieb's house. 

The Gotlieb's Thanksgiving feast was epic, with all of us talking too loud and gorging ourselves far past full. 

Then, we ended the evening in the family room watching football, while Scott and Joey had an improvised belching contest before pie and ice cream. 

When the burps got too gross, Mrs. Gotlieb, Keri, and I retreated to the kitchen to start on the cleanup and gossip about Will. 

"I'm going to need another drink before I start on dishes," Mrs. Gotlieb announces on her way to the fridge. "I think we have another bottle in here." 

"Pour me one too," Keri snorts. "Then tell dad to do the dishes. We did all the cooking!" 

"Oh my dear," Mrs. Gotlieb smiles knowingly at her daughter as she hands her a chilled bottle. "Your father knows that as long as he's making Joey laugh, we will do his chores. He's a lot smarter than you give him credit for." 

"Damn," Keri remarks while sloshing a few fingers of white wine into a clean class. "That's an air-tight argument."

"Language," Mrs. Gotlieb hisses as Keri hands her the glass she just poured. Then, she turns her attention to me. "So, I think every woman here would like to know whether or not Will has made a move yet?" 

Gulping down a giggle, I consider the best answer. 

Keri and her mom would never spread hurtful gossip, but I don't know how honest I should be about our unconventional relationship. Especially since Will and I haven't even had the chance to define it ourselves.