Chapter 9

"Hi Rory," I press my mouth into a thin smile.

Pushing past the prick, I head toward a booth on the other side of the diner to clear some abandoned coffee cups. 

Unfortunately, Rory follows me.

"How's your day?" Rory smirks.

"It was going well," I answer.

Much to my chagrin, Rory keeps trailing me as I walk up to the counter to deposit the dirty dishes.

"Aren't you going to ask me why I'm here?" He asks, folding himself over the counter.

"OK, I'll bite," I keep my head down and pour a couple of waters for table five. "Why are you slumming it in Auburn today, Rory?"

He shadows me like a bad omen as I deliver the drinks to my waiting customers. The older couple smiles warmly as I approach.

When I turn to leave, I almost run smack into Rory's chest. 

Flustered, I step sideways and continue walking to the counter.

"I'm in town to take you out tonight, Moira," Rory says with a triumphant grin.

"So sorry Rory, but I have plans," I finally give the smarmy jerk a real smile.

Rory goes rigid for a split second before he relaxes again, seemingly unfazed.

"Hot date with Keri?" He arches his brow.

"Yup," I reply.

"Well, great," Rory takes it all in stride. "Maybe I'll see you out and about."

"Is that a threat?" I grab a rag to wipe down the tables I've already cleaned.

"Is that what you think of me?" He purrs, hovering like a pesky fly while I bounce from table to table. "A man asking you out isn't a threat Moira. It saddens me deeply that you would see me that way. I'm just excited to see you dressed up for once."

I bristle and around turn to put him in his place, but he's already headed out the door. 

I tried to forget Rory's words because I didn't want him to ruin our night of fun before it even began.

What's crazy is this isn't the first time Rory's followed me around and asked me out. It's as if he's trying to dare me into doing it. Yet, he knows my answer will always be no. 

I'll never understand his damage. He's got plenty of girls that are willing to bask in the glow of his ego and money, so I have no idea what kind of kick he gets out of my rejection.

My mom's not even home when I rush into our trailer to change for school. I hope that means she got a job or she's grocery shopping.

With seconds to spare, I'm running out the door again (after securing our dresses are secure in a waterproof garment bag, of course). Thankfully, I don't need to pack any extra cosmetics since I know that Keri's probably going to insist on doing my makeup at her house. 

It's awkward hauling my backpack and a garment bag on the bus, but I'm too excited to get my essay back and go out with Keri to really care.

As soon as I'm settled in my chair, Keira turns to stare at all my baggage.

"You brought a change of clothes for tonight?" She teases.

"Yes, my best friend and I are going out dancing," I bubble excitedly.

"Oh, fun!" Keira squeals while the rest of the class filters in. "Where are you going?"

"Boondocks."