Chapter 39

Keira knew of a coffee shop off campus where we could sit and talk about my spontaneous catfight in the courtyard. Actually, we hadn't seen each other or hung out together in weeks and we had tons to catch up on. 

First, we celebrated Keira's big news. She'd slogged through the process of transferring her community college credits to a four-year university, and after months of stress and hard work, she was accepted at the Foster School of Business at UW.

With a thirty percent acceptance rate, her accomplishment was no small feat. Keira beat out hundreds of other applicants all while struggling as a single mom in Auburn. 

Her student counselor also hooked Keira up with a list of academic scholarships that were going to help offset the cost of her education exponentially

Second, I caught Keria up on my mom's progress in rehab as well as the true nature of my relationship with Will. 

She hung on my every word, occasionally interjecting little noises of approval (or disapproval) and hugging me whenever I got misty-eyed over my mom's future or Will's unending kindness. 

It's funny, but up until a little while ago, I wouldn't trust anyone other than Keri with my secrets. 

I was so certain that no one would ever understand the nuances of my overly complicated life that I shut myself off from everyone, but Will understood, and Keira did as well. Everyone in Will's Adult Children of Alcoholics chapter did, too.

 Will's English class had yielded so many unexpected lessons and happy surprises that I wasn't even that upset about Blondie and the Ashleys' harassment anymore (well, much). 

If the deadly drama surrounding my mom's recent overdose had taught me anything, it's that life is too short to dwell on other people's problems. 

We ended our marathon gab-fest with a promise to go vintage shopping in the coming weeks.

Later that afternoon, Keri and I were making Joey some Macaroni and cheese while I caught her up on what happened after my final exam. 

"Wow, so Rory's sidepiece called you a skank?" Keri snorted as she stirred the pot. 

"Ironic, right?" I laughed. "Heather looked pretty surprised to find out that Rory was engaged, though. Poor girl." 

"Don't you dare have sympathy for that biatch!" Keri hissed and stomped her foot. "She could have Googled the shit-bag she was dating and found his engagement photos with Bianca in Seattle Weddings." 

I didn't want to ask how Keri knew how to find Rory's engagement photos online. 

"It's safe to say that Heather has seen those engagement pictures by now," I shrug. "The thing is, I feel bad for Bianca too. I wonder if she knows that her future husband is sleeping with half of Auburn?" 

"Who cares?" Keri tosses her hands up. "She knew Rory was cheating on her in high school and they stayed together." 

"That's true," I bob my head and fetch one of Joey's plates for Keri to serve up his dinner. "I hate that Rory gets away with all this BS. He's probably going to spread more hateful rumors on Christmas Eve so Will's entire family will think I'm a skank, too." 

"Why would Rory tell Will's family anything?" Keri gasped and spun around. 

"Oh, I forgot to mention," I sigh and shut the cupboard to face her. "Rory is Will's cousin, and he's going to be at the wedding on Christmas Eve." 

"Are you freaking kidding me?" Keri threw her headful of fiery tendrils back to moan at the ceiling. "What are the odds?" 

"Whatever the odds," I remarked with a snort. "They're not in my favor."