Chapter 29

My answer caught in my throat as I stared at Will.

I'm not sure if sleepovers were allowed. Our friendship was fraught with enough sexual tension already. 

Plus,  I've been a big enough burden on Will's day. Still, the idea of seeing his house and staying with someone who understood what I was going through, was appealing. 

"Please?" Will tilts his head, beseeching my eyes. "Unfortunately, Rory is taking up my guest room. I have a very nice couch, however, that I will sleep on. You can take my bedroom which has its own bathroom."

"Can I lock the door between me and Rory?"  I mutter. 

"Of course," Will chuckles and drapes his arm around my shoulders to guide me out of the hospital and into his car.

We stop by our trailer first, so I can pick up my pajamas and my toiletries, then, we drive across town to Will's condo.

He lives in a gated community of townhouses, all of them crimson and grey, and all of them cute. Everyone takes such good care of their homes and their yards and their cars that I can't help gawking.  

Inside his place is a mixture of midcentury modern furniture and warm accent pieces on bright blonde hardwood floors.

It feels wrong to be inside my teacher's house, but so, so good to be with someone who understands what I'm going through.  

"Would you like some tea?" Will's voice is low as I set my things down next to his cerulean leather couch.

"Sure," I answer, staring up at the massive abstract painting over his fireplace. 

My ears track Will's footsteps to the kitchen, followed by cupboards opening and closing.  

Will's got an impressive book collection running the length of his built-in shelves. I tiptoe over to read the spines. He seems to like contemporary fiction, gritty graphic novels, and sci-fi, some of which I've never read. 

"Here," Will returns holding a steaming grey mug and a plate of tea bags. "I didn't know what you'd like, so I brought a selection."

After dunking my chamomile tea bag in the piping-hot water, I grip the sides of the mug in both hands to siphon its delicious warmth. Then, I sink onto Will's comfy couch and take a moment to appreciate how nice it feels to have someone take care of me, for once. 

"I'm going to get some blankets," Will smiles and walks off again.

He returns moments later with a stack of fuzzy blankets, along with some sheets and a couple of pillows. 

"Here, let me help," I get up and offer my assistance. 

"I'll show you where you'll be staying," Will offers when we're done.

Holding my cooling mug, I followed him into a hallway and up a short flight of carpeted stairs to the second floor of his condo. Will's place is huge and decorated like a grown-up's home, with framed paintings everywhere, but no family photos I notice.

"This is my room," Will pushes open the first door at the top of the stairs. 

Will's room is obviously the master bedroom with its vaulted ceiling, a large skylight, and a massive en suite bathroom. 

I put my backpack down on the downy white comforter on his raised king-sized bed. 

"The bathroom is right over there," Will points it out for my benefit. 

"Thanks," I nod.

"How are you feeling, Moira?" Will asks me again as he shuts the door to his room (probably so Rory won't hear us).