Chapter 12

It took all of my strength, but I got Keri into bed. I didn't want to leave her side, so I slept in her bed with my phone nearby (just in case I needed to call an ambulance). 

Actually, I didn't get much rest because I was so worried about my best friend. I kept replaying the evening over and over in my head. I only saw Keri consume two drinks in total, which wasn't enough to get her black-out drunk. 

None of it made sense, especially Rory's strange behavior in the parking lot. 

Instead of complaining about being doused in puke, he asked if there was anything else he could do to help. 

"Can you call me and let me know that she's ok?" He asked before I could slam to door on him. 

"I don't have your number," I remind Rory. "On purpose."

"Please," he shook his head and pulled out his phone to type in my name as a new contact. "I'm really worried about her."

Reluctantly, I accept his phone to enter my number while making him promise that this was a one-time-only thing. 

Keri didn't wake up until four in the afternoon, which annoyed her parents and confused the heck out of Joey (while scaring the living hell out of me). 

"Oh God, my skull!" Keri grabbed her head when she finally pried her eyes open. "What happened?"

"You don't remember anything?" I try not to openly fret.

"No, I really don't," Keri squeezes her eyes shut even though her curtains are drawn.

"You don't remember making out with a guy?" I try and jog her memory.

"No," Ker's voice is wavering dangerously on the verge of tears. "I don't remember any of that! Oww! My thinking-parts! Oh my gosh, where's Joey?"

"Just lie back, I'm going to get you water," I try and reassure her. "Joey's coloring with your parents."

I rush downstairs wearing a pair of fluffy socks that I borrowed from Keri's dresser. I'm still in my dress from last night too.

The bags under my eyes, coupled with the terrible smudges of makeup from my worried crying probably make me a fright to behold.

"How's sleeping beauty?" Keri's Dad, Scott, calls out from the couch in a cheery voice.

"She's alright," I lie. "She just needs some water and some more time to sleep it off."

I don't like lying to Keri's parents, but I wasn't sure my wild theories would help much either. 

I take the stairs two at a time to bring Keri a cool glass of water. 

She drinks it gingerly with my help and then collapses back onto her sweat-soaked pillow.

"Can you remember anything from last night?" I whisper.

"I remember going in and sitting down with Rory and his friends, and I remember going into the bathroom with you." Keri winces against the mental strain. "But after that things get fuzzy."

"Do you know how much you had to drink?" I press.

"I don't," she sighs against the pain. "Do you think someone slipped me something?"

"I do," I nod darkly. "I don't know when or how, but I thought so too."

We stare at each other, unable to answer any of the terrible questions running through our minds. 

I'm sure Keri feels violated and scared. In truth, I do too, but we don't have any proof.

"How did we get home?" Keri moans.