Chapter 4

Rory's cherry red penis mobile revved outside of the diner's windows and a few seconds later, the curvy sports car went flying by the window. 

"Ass," I murmur while pocketing the change from Rory's fifty.

I check in on my other tables before heading back to my grandparent's booth.

"That boy seems nice," Otis says, wiping his face with the napkin he tucked into his shirt like a bib.

"Oh?" I try and remain nonchalant.

"He's very handsome," Agnes's thin lips curl into a smile. "If I was your age, I'd be-"

"Ugh! Agnes, no," I moan cutting her off.

"You're going to be twenty-one," Otis chimes in while shuffling his bottom to the end of the booth. "You should start thinking about your future. Find a nice young man to settle down with."

"Well, I'm kind of focused on school and mom right now," my testy reply doesn't land well.

Immediately, I wish I could take the comment about my mom back, but Otis and Agnes share a look.

"You're not responsible for your mother," Agnes reminds me quietly. 

"You know what?" I interrupt her. "She's doing really well these days, you'd be proud of her."

My grandparents stand up, their bodies sagging with the weight of our conversation. 

Soon they're going to need help at home too, and I have no idea how I'm going to balance that on top of everything else. It's not something I like to think about.

"Alright," Otis nods. "You know if you ever need us, you can call."

"Thanks," I try and smile like I mean it. "Things are great. We're good. Everything's good."

"We'll be back for breakfast on Saturday for your birthday," Agnes says. "It's a shame you have to work on your special day, Moira."

"It's not so bad," I reply, leaning in for an awkward hug. 

We walk towards the front door and I wave them both off.

Later that evening I headed to Keri's house to help her with GED prep while Joey colored in enthusiastic crayon strokes next to us.

Going to Keri's house is wonderful, and warm, and a little bit heartbreaking for me.

The Gotliebs live across the street from our old high school. 

Theirs is the type of family I dreamed of being a part of growing up. You know, if my dad hadn't died and my mom was a normal, functioning human being.

Everywhere you look there's a wall filled with photos of family memories like vacations and holidays and school pictures. 

I've spent Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners around their table when mom was too depressed or strung out to cook or care. And I always get invited to the Gotlieb's annual camping trip. There's even a few pictures of me on the walls.

"Are you going to make something for this Friday?" She asks looking up from the geometry chapter we've been reviewing.

"I was thinking about it, I've got some extra cash and a few ideas," I answer happily.

"I wish I could sew," Keri sighs. "You always dream up such beautiful clothes."

"I could make something for you too," I volunteer.

"Do you think you'll have time?" She raises an eyebrow into her red curls.

"I'll make time," I promise with a shrug. "Did you have anything in mind?"