Chapter 48

There's a hazy sherbet-colored sunset dipping into the ocean on our drive. One of Will's hands is on the steering wheel and the other is on my thigh while I stare dreamily out the window.

Every so often, I sneak a glance to admire my boyfriend's crazy resemblance to James Bond in his tuxedo. His masculine profile and chiseled jawline and tousled hair made Will an undeniable heartthrob.

Whenever he caught me staring, he'd flash me his movie star smile and I'd temporarily flatline from sheer handsomeness.

A familiar marine brine in the air signals that we're close to our destination and reminds me of that magical night on Alki beach with Will.

That was the night that I learned about his dad. That I found a group of wonderful people supporting each other as the adult children of addicts. It was also the night of our first kiss.

The wedding was in Ballard in a church overlooking the sparkling waves of Puget Sound. As we got close enough to look for parking, I started fiddling with my hands.

"Does your family know that you're bringing a date?" I ask.

"Of course," Will smiles. "They're very excited to meet my girlfriend."

"Oh, wow," I duck my head sheepishly. "So, they know about me?"

"They know about us," Will backs into a choice spot about a block from the venue. "And I confirmed that Rory will be there with his fiancé."

"Bianca Mueller?" I nod with a sullen sigh.

"That's right," Will shrugs. "I don't think my cousin would be stupid enough to try anything that this wedding, but I'll be by your side tonight, Moira. Rory won't 'be able to get to you without going through me first."

The protective edge in Will's gravelly voice sends a shiver up my spine while I nod my agreement.

He knows as well as I do that common decency never stopped Rory in the past.

There is a brisk chill in the air when Will helps me out of his car and walks me toward the church. Even though I'm bundled up for the wintery weather and his arms are around my shoulders, my teeth are chattering.

The church's art deco steeple towers into the pale moon emerging out of the purple-tinged clouds overhead. It's a modern concrete building paneled in all sorts of intricate stained-glass mosaics that are glowing in the waning sunset.

Outside are crowds of people milling about in their heavy coats while smiling and chatting. The throng was leisurely flowing up the stairs and through the church's ornately carved double wood doors.

Out of the fray pops Will's sister Adelle in a trumpeted evergreen evening gown under a heavy snow-white fur jacket. The sweetheart neckline and yards of couturier chiffon really highlight her statuesque figure.

Hyacinth is right behind her daughter wrapped in a humongous caramel-colored fur coat and waving at us.

"Hello, you two," Hyacinth greets us with a wide smile on her red lips. "Moira, I'm so glad you could make it."

"It's wonderful to see you," I open my arms for her motherly hug and then we turn to Will's sister.

"Do you already know my daughter, Adelle?" Hyacinth asks.

"Nice to meet you," Adelle's response is as cold as the December air.

Her wide blue eyes asses me carefully before offering her dainty hand.

"Nice to meet you, too," I smile and shake Adelle's lifeless palm.

It was hard to get a read on Adelle, but it didn't seem as if she liked me much.