one.

lauren.

"Yes mom, everything's fine, New York has been great." I said into the phone, pushing an empty box towards the corner. "Okay mija but remember, if you need money, call me." Mom replied. "I know, you've said that many times." I said, entering the bathroom. "Oh and remember to take time off to come home and visit." She added on. "Yes, I'll put the dates in my calendar, I promise to try to FaceTime you at least twice a week, it's getting late now so you should go to bed and tomorrow's my first day at the internship so I need to sleep too." I told her. "Okay mija, goodnight, love you." She said. "Goodnight, love you too Mom, tell Dad I love him." I replied and the call ended. I let out a sigh and placed the phone down to get ready for bed.

---

I woke up to the chilly weather of New York and picked up my phone to check the time. It was 7 am and I had to be at work by 8.30am so I decided to get up and start getting ready. I saw I had extra time so I decided to organise my things and unpack a little more then got changed. I went for a red plaid shirt, black skinny jeans and a nice brown coat to keep me warm for the weather in New York then headed out of my apartment.

At the same time, my next door neighbour also left her apartment and was locking her door. "Good morning." She greeted. "Good morning." I smiled, looking up at her as she walked towards the lift lobby. She was dark-skinned, about my height, beautiful and paired with a bright smile. We got into the lift and stood in silence as we reached the ground level. I let her go out first and she thanked me before we went our separate ways. I picked up a coffee from Starbucks then was on the way to my workplace.

"Hi, I'm Lauren Jauregui, the new intern." I said, passing the receptionist my ID and letter. She looked at her computer then passed me a lanyard. "You can wait over there as I call and Ms Kordei down." She told me. "Okay, thank you." I replied, walking over to the couch in the corner. I looked around at the gigantic print out of magazine covers all over the walls. I got an internship at a big magazine company called Capture under the photography department.

"Are you Lauren?" I heard someone ask and looked up to see my neighbour standing in front of me. She smiled and I let out a laugh. "Coincidence huh?" She asked. "Yup." I replied, getting up. "Well, I'm Normani Kordei and you'll be with me for your internship." She introduced, sticking her hand out. "Lauren Jauregui." I replied, shaking her hand. "I'll give you a tour of the office." She said and I picked up my bag and coffee. "So what do you do around here?" I asked. "I do model runway gigs all around New York and occasionally out of the state or country and photoshoots so you'll be following me throughout your internship." She replied and I nodded as we entered the elevator.

She showed me around the office and then to my table. "I sit opposite you so if you have any questions, just ask away." She said. "Okay." I replied. "You said you have a laptop?" She asked. "Yea, you said I needed the latest Photoshop software and a laptop for all my projects and things." I replied. "Great so right now, we're going to head down to a venue for a photo shoot then to a model runway during the evening." She said. "Okay, sure." I replied, finishing my coffee as I waited for Normani to pack up.

"I need your help with the equipment." She said. "Okay." I replied and followed her to a room with all of the cameras. "Oh my gosh..." I said, looking around at the shelves of the various lens and cameras. I looked over at Normani who was looking at me and I blushed. "I'm sorry, I'm just fascinated." I said. "It's okay, we have time, look around." She replied, urging me to continue to look around. I smiled at her and looked at the shelves. "These are for close up shots, my personal favourite." She said as she passed one of the camera lenses to me. "It's beautiful." I replied, making sure I don't drop it as I studied the lens.

"Then these are usually for outdoor photoshoots." She said, pointing to the big lens on the shelf. "That's cool." I replied. "And that's what I need today for the photoshoot, mind helping me?" She asked, pointing to the small step ladder. I nodded and grabbed the ladder, placing it in front of her. "You seem to have steady hands, mind grabbing it for me?" She asked. "Erm, okay." I replied, climbing up the steps and grabbed the lens. "Anything else?" I asked, passing her the lens. "That one too." She said, pointing to the one, next to the one I passed to her. I took it and went back to the ground, placing it into the lens bag.