sixteen.

camila.

Camila- Do I look okay?

I placed my phone against the wall and stepped back to show Lauren my outfit.

Lauren- Yeah, you look beautiful Camz.

C- I don't know...

L- Don't worry babe, my family will love you.

C- Except for your aunt.

L- Except for my aunt. Yes.

C- Should I bring a gift?

L- There's no need Camz.

C- Maybe I should bring a bottle of wine?

L- Babe, it's fine. You don't need to bring a gift.

C- But I feel like I should.

L- Then bring a gift.

C- You're not helping.

I pouted and Lauren laughed. I smiled at her laughter as it made my heart flutter.

L- You do what you want Camz, but just saying, you don't need to bring a gift.

C- Alright, I need to do my hair and makeup now, I'll text you when I'm on my way.

L- Don't do anything crazy, even though I like it better when you don't wear makeup.

C- Okay, I love you.

L- I love you too, see you!

I smiled at the screen then ended the call. I got up and headed to the bathroom to get ready for dinner at Lauren's. "Mija? Are you getting ready?" My mom asked. "Yes, Mama." I replied and she entered the room. "Here, bring this as a gift for Lauren's family." She said, placing a bag on the bathroom counter. I looked into the bag and saw a bottle of wine and a box of cookies. "Okay, thanks." I replied.

I took a deep breath and pressed the doorbell. The door opened and my girlfriend was standing there. "Hi." She smiled. "Hey, these are for you." I said, holding up a bouquet of flowers. "Aww thank you, come in." She took the flowers and stepped aside for me to enter. "Your house is nice." I said, looking around. "It's nothing crazy." She replied. "Lauren? Was that Camila at the door?" I heard Mrs Jauregui yell from the kitchen. "Yes, mom!" Lauren yelled back. "Let me introduce you to my family." She said, bringing me to the kitchen.

"Hi, Mrs Jauregui." I greeted. "Hey." She smiled as she was setting up the table. "I brought you a gift." I said, holding out the bag in my hand. "You didn't have to but thank you, Camila." She replied, taking the bag. "Told you so." Lauren mumbled and I lightly elbowed her in the stomach. "Dinner is ready everyone!" Mrs Jauregui called. Lauren pulled out a chair for me and I smiled, sitting down. She sat down beside me and kissed my cheek.

The doorbell rang and Lauren sighed. "That must be the aunt." She said. "Am I supposed to be nervous?" I asked. "Don't worry about it Camz, I've got your back, I've dealt with this for like a decade now." She grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together. "Lauren! My favourite niece...and you've brought a girl over for Thanksgiving..." Aunt Susan stared me down from head to toe and I felt uncomfortable. "This is Camila, my girlfriend, Camz, this is my aunt, Susan." Lauren introduced. I reached my hand out for her to shake and she just grazed her hand over mine then proceeded to talk to Lauren's siblings. "She does that to everyone, don't worry Camz." Lauren assured me and I nodded, sitting back down.

Thanksgiving dinner was spent with Lauren's aunt shooting glares at me and scoffing whenever we made eye contact. Lauren noticed the tension between us and placed her hand on my thigh. I looked at her and she smiled, kissing my cheek. "We get it, you don't need to shove your sexuality down our throats." Aunt Susan said and Lauren looked over at her. "Yea, like you don't try to get Uncle Tommy to make out with you when we come to visit." Lauren fired back. "Lo." I whispered, grabbing her arm. "Is that how you treat your elders?" Aunt Susan asked. "Is that how you treat your niece?" Lauren asked. "Lo, stop it." I said. "I'm full." She announced, getting up and leaving the dining table. "I'll excuse myself, sorry." I apologised and followed Lauren.