Prologue

Quietness. Peacefulness. Relaxation.

StarClan was created because of these qualities, so that no matter how hectic your life was, you would always find peace in death. It was meant to be the hide-out, the place where you could rest without having to worry. It was meant to be a place where the living could ask questions, and a place where there was hope.

But it changed. StarClan was now just place where the dead cats went. Nothing more. There wasn't peace, and there wasn't happiness. They weren't even sure how to answer many of the questions asked by the living. It had been this way for many moons, but StarClan had managed.

Now that Sharpmoon had taken over, however, they were falling apart. Like shattered glass, they rushed to collect the pieces, but no matter how much they tried, more and more pieces fell to the ground. Most cats were still allowed to pray to StarClan, but they didn't want to, because the hope they'd once had in their ancestors was now gone.

So on the warm breezy night, many StarClan leaders had gathered, trying hard to figure out their own prophecy. Yes, they knew of who was to save them, and yes, they knew who was to help, but they were afraid, for the war leader, Rainfur, had been taken to a territory where StarClan no longer roamed, and that was not part of the plan.

The leaders were all seated on a rocky waterfall, one that they used for a lot of meetings. There were numerous high stones that outlined the flowing waterfall all the way to the top, leaving many ledges for leaders to sit on. This was one of the largest meetings of all, it seemed, for all twenty high stones had a leader sitting on them.

Below the waterfall, a river flowed quietly, barely making any noise at all. The lush green grass swayed below them, and a few daisies danced in the dusk wind. Many previous medicine cats sat in this clearing, while many normal warriors and queens did as well. Probably a third of StarClan's most respected cats had gathered at this meeting, hoping to have a say in their clan's future.

One of the most important leaders there was Ravenstar, ThunderClan's previous leader. He was a wise dark grey tom who had first met the war leader, and he had been killed by him. But Ravenstar knew better than to judge Rainfur now, for the grey and white tom had become a fine fighter, and the dark grey leader found it sorrowful that Rainfur had lost his memory.

There were, of course, the first four leaders of the clans by the lake. They were another crucial aspect in this meeting because it was them who agreed to make Rainfur a cat after dying in his human life. They had also united in bringing Stormpaw, the Saviour, into the warrior world as well, though that decision was yet to become successful.

The next leader was a dull grey one with bright blue eyes that looked like they had electricity running through them. It was magnificent, and seeing as he had just as high of a rank as the other first four leaders of ThunderClan, ShadowClan, RiverClan, and WindClan, this tom was important.

Nightstar and Rosestar were also present, though the golden she-cat wasn't pleased. She would have been more than happy to stay near WindClan and help Blackstar lead the Queen Clan. Nightstar wasn't as reluctant, because he knew Rainfur as his deputy, and to know that the war leader no longer remembered him was an outrage, and he wanted something done about it.

Below, there were many familiar cats. Jayflight, Snowstorm, Thorntail, Yelloweye, Sweetclaw, Falconclaw. . .The list went on and on, for the war had taken many lives. Snowdrift, ThunderClan's previous medicine cat, had died of a wound that one of Sharpmoon's warriors had inflicted upon him. Frostfur was able to heal the rest of the ThunderClan cats, but it was very saddening to know that the warriors these days were breaking the warrior code so freely.

"StarClan, I speak before all of you in sorrow that so many has joined us," Thunderstar started. "We shall help the grieving cats that live by the lake, and push them to become stronger. This battle has only begun, and we wish our loved ones good luck." There were murmurs of agreement, and many began thanking StarClan that they didn't take any other of their loved ones.