Chapter Thirty-One

Okay, we're going to loop backwards and twist around as fast as we can, Evectri told Rain.

And how on earth am I supposed to move the body to make that happen? Rain asked.

Well, have you ever looped backwards? Evectri asked. Rain laughed slightly, and the silver prince heard Stormheart do so as well. They seemed to be sharing a certain inside joke.

Hey Stormheart, do you remember that trip to Dreamworld? Rain asked. The one where you were too scared to go on the Buzzsaw? Stormheart laughed.

Yeah, I remember, Stormheart answered. Dad made you go on it even though you insisted on staying behind with me. That was one scary loop if you ask me—tightest thing I ever did see, but it was so high up in the air...I'm amazed that you even went on it.

Then there's also that Taekwondo class you took, Rain continued. I had to do it as well. I hated that class because it was so stressful. You learned more than me but I still managed to do that back flip from the wall.

What are you two talking about? Evectri asked impatiently.

You don't want to know, Jactur said slyly. They're just remembering old memories. Rain laughed.

Seriously? At a time like this? Evectri asked.

Fine, fine, I'm sorry, claimed Rain. But to answer your question, yes, I have looped backwards.

So you know how to? Evectri asked.

Yeah, though it'll be tough to transfer those movements...it's been awhile since I've done them, you see. I was a lot...smaller and I had different kind of...body. Rain responded.

Well can you twist in the air? Evectri asked.

Hmm...I'm assuming the wings will give me a boost? Rain asked.

Of course, Evectri answered.

That sounds a lot like swimming, Stormheart suddenly put in. You know, after the flip turn? Push off, twist and you're off.

You know, you're right, Rain thought aloud. It seems those swimming lessons actually paid off.

Again, what are you talking about? Evectri asked. Did you two seriously have swimming lessons?

Yeah, something like that, Rain answered. Again, we were a lot younger then.

So you know how to move? Evectri asked.

Yeah, Rain answered.

Alright then, let's get going, Evectri stated. He focused hard on the wings, noticing that they were much easier to use after simply flying as fast as they could from his father. On three?

One, Rain said.

Two, Jactur responded.

Three! Evectri called, flattening out his wings immediately as he felt the body lean backward. He felt Negro fly under him with a surprised gasp. The black Volan continued flying, falling for the trick again. Evectri smirked as he gave one big flap of his wings, allowing Rain the boost he needed.

The body twisted, though not as well as they'd have liked. They managed to find themselves falling toward the lake, and being only a half a tree-length away from the waves, the silver prince knew he had to act fast. He hissed, using the powerful wings to bring them back to the air with powerful flaps. They went up just as their hind paws tapped the water.