Chapter Four

Evectri sighed as he sat near the stream in which declared the border of The Cats of the Storms, and territory that was unclaimed. He waited patiently for someone, and though fear and guilt clawed at his belly, he reminded himself solely that he was no longer that cat, and this wasn't wrong at all.

Looking into the quiet stream, he sighed as he looked to himself. He was perfectly groomed as always, his short light grey tabby fur was flatly laying upon his skin and though many scars and scratched covered his body, it was not a flaw. It looked good on him, as it usually did. His amber eyes looked like a burning fire, even now as he was scowling at the water. Slender, yet muscular, he was what any she-cat would want. His stance showed authority that others would cower over. Even his silver wings, though at the moment invisible, were strong and stealthy, ready for battle at any given second.

Yet that wasn't what Evectri was sighing for. It wasn't as if he hated his looks, and the fact that it drew a lot of attention, but more of the fact that he was who he was, and not someone else. He wasn't regular—he was smarter, stronger, more handsome, more mentally confident, and of course, he'd killed before, having the bravery to take one's life without hesitation. Though that may seem like a flaw, it wasn't, not in this world of war that he lived in.

These facts were what had caused him to be alone in the first place, and now, as he waited for Huntress to come, he wondered exactly how things would end up. Every time he'd dared to love someone, they floated away, soon to be forgotten about in a few moons time, all because of his 'specialty' and 'abnormality', if that's what he dared to call it.

However, even though all of his instincts told him that being with Huntress would only end in blood and heartbreak, he went on, determined to make himself a different type of individual by being with a cat, and not his own kind, even though that could get him killed if he wasn't careful.

But could I have chosen an unimportant cat? Evectri asked himself as he sat there, still waiting in green-leaf air. She's a Princess! If her father found out about who I am—more like what I am—I would be trapped and executed before you could say 'mouse'. Evectri sighed again, this time looking away from the stream and back to his paws. It was her who found me, and without her, I'd be dead. I guess, through all that, I should be thankful. And maybe, just maybe, it means that our relationship won't end in disaster.

"Hey, Evectri!" came a cheerful voice across the stream. It drew his gaze upward, and forced a smile upon his face as he saw Huntress's golden fur and icy blue eyes that seemed to light up his entire world. "Sorry you had to wait so long—I had to endure another lecture from my father. Honestly, he has to get a hobby." Evectri laughed, and as she leaped over the stream, he stood, eager to go to the meadow where they'd met.

Huntress smiled before they went left, away from the stream and toward the meadow. The forest was getting very light as the sunrise lit the lush green trees, and this meant that the meadow would be even prettier than normal, because usually they met at moonhigh, not sunrise.

Though he still felt the stinging of his wounds and the pain of his sore muscles, he ignored them all by looking at Huntress. Evectri always had to smile when she laughed like that, and her smile seemed to remind him that life isn't about fighting, killing, and training. She reminded him that it was so much more than that.

Evectri followed her, his eyes now on the glittering meadow in front of him. Tall green grass swayed in the wind, as did the sunflowers. More colours and more plants sprouted up, creating a beautifully lit space where any animal would be happy to run in. It seemed to reach for miles, and the best part? No one owned it, so they were free to run on it as long as they wanted.