Chapter Sixteen

"Snakestar, I swear I didn't do any of that on purpose! I was just angry, a-and I freaked out, and I—"

"Became controlled by something else?" Snakestar growled, his tail flicking with irritation as his expression continued to stay in a scowl. "That still gives you no excuse—you know what could happen if you got furious, so why not avoid that by avoiding the fight altogether?"

"Wait, how do you know about Demonpaw's condition?" asked Bravepaw, his eyes narrowed with focus. Snakestar's cold yellow eyes looked over to Demonpaw's brother without a change of emotion.

"Your father had something similar, and judging by how insane your sister looked today, I simply made an educated guess." Snakestar hissed, his voice becoming even darker. "Your connection with your sister must be strong if you were able to stop it." Bravepaw narrowed his eyes tighter, and the two stared at each other for a long time—or at least that's what Demonpaw felt like it was—before Snakestar's gaze shifted back to her.

"How many times has this happened?" asked Snakestar. "And be honest, or I will ask the other apprentices." Demonpaw lowered her head slightly, knowing that Nightpaw would easily spill the beans if she didn't become truthful.

"It's happened twice, once in WindClan, and the other on our first dusk here." Demonpaw murmured softly. "But I didn't know you knew, so that's what I didn't tell you! Bravepaw said that anyone who finds out will be scared of me!" Snakestar growled lowly.

"And they will, but for a different reason." Snakestar told them. "No doubt most of them are recounting the events or stories of your father, and are probably—because of that—scared to death of the fact they have to spend the next four moons with you." Demonpaw narrowed her eyes in confusion.

"What did our father do that was so bad?" asked Demonpaw. "I heard a few stories from Duskpaw, but he didn't tell me every detail." Snakestar sighed.

"And I don't blame him." Snakestar grumbled. "Demonpaw, you are not ready to realize what your father did, even if all of it was just a misunderstanding." Demonpaw's went back, and her fur bristled slightly.

"So why aren't I ready? I'm perfectly capable of handling the truth!" Demonpaw hissed. Snakestar growled lowly with warning.

"No, you're not, Demonpaw." Snakestar hissed. "In fact, I must ask your brother some questions. You, however will not be in this den as I do." Demonpaw's eyes were wide as her jaw dropped. What the heck? Why on earth does he want to speak with Bravepaw and not me?

"But why?" Demonpaw asked.

"Because you will be cleaning out the apprentices' dens by yourself until nest-time." Snakestar hissed, his tail flicking roughly. "Now go, before I make the punishment worse." Demonpaw growled as she glared at her mentor, but followed his orders and left the den.

¤¤¤

Bravepaw

Bravepaw sighed and shook his head when his sister finally left the den. "I'm sorry, Snakestar. Demonpaw can be stubborn at times." Snakestar didn't reply instantly—his gaze was still fixed on where Demonpaw had left.

"That personality trait can be both a good thing, and a bad thing," Snakestar murmured as his gaze drifted back to Bravepaw. "While she will never back down from any fight, she will also not back down from her elders when it is good for her." Bravepaw nodded, fully agreeing with the leader's statement.

"So what kind of questions did you want to ask me?" asked Bravepaw. "They must be important if my sister can't be here." Snakestar gave a bleak smile that quickly vanished.