Chapter Five

Demonkit waited curiously outside of the den, her mother's soft fur brushing up beside her. The small grey and white kit was curious as to what was happening, because though Robinwing continuously told her that they were just talking to Bravekit, she didn't believe her. Demonkit just wanted to see what they were saying to her brother.

It was such a strange event that morning. When the ThunderClan cats came, they told her and Robinwing to get out of the den immediately, and since dawn they'd been talking to Bravekit, creating a feeling of worry throughout his family, and, surprisingly, the whole Clan.

Robinwing had told her of the four cats on the patrol. Swiftheart, the leader of the patrol and deputy of ThunderClan, was a friend of her father's. Demonkit's mother explained how though it took a while, he and Swiftheart vowed to protect Cloudstreak, RiverClan's deputy, and the ThunderClan deputy's sister. To know that a friend of her father's was in with Bravekit made Demonkit happier, though not convinced he was safe. She didn't know too much about her father, so being a friend didn't exactly mean Swiftheart would keep anything from happening in these Clans.

Tigerpelt was another matter. He was a fighter and a guard for Sharpmoon, and also a loyal friend of the king, meaning that Bravekit was probably not safe at all. Demonkit was worried even more as she heard this, but her mother told her that they wouldn't hurt Bravekit, for that was a decision made long ago.

Demonkit's ears perked up as she heard the faded voices within the den grow louder, and it sounded as if they were coming out. The rustling in the bramble den confirmed this, leaving Demonkit to eagerly stand up, her eyes searching the cats exiting the den as she tried to pick up the familiar pale grey coat that she was used to.

Swiftheart came out first, followed by Tigerpelt and a few other warriors that followed the first two like robots. As the other three warriors walked over to the guards, Swiftheart stayed behind, looking to Robinwing with warmth in his eyes.

"You may see your brother now, Demonkit," said Swiftheart soothingly, still staring at Robinwing as if to have a silent conversation. Ignoring this fact, the grey and white she-cat quickly bounded over to her brother, who was just then emerging from the bramble den.

"Finally!" said Demonkit cheerfully, her dark blue eyes brightening with her mood. "I was beginning to think that they were going to keep you in there all day!" Bravekit's cloudy green eyes looked into hers, and when she saw the expression on his face, her cheerful smile vanished completely and formed into a frown.

"Really? I thought you'd be happy that I was in that den and you were free to do what you wanted without me," said Bravekit, quite coldly in Demonkit's point of view. She was confused, afraid, and trying to understand what her brother just said. What gave him the impression that she wanted him to be cooped up there with ThunderClan warriors?

"I don't know what you mean," said Demonkit truthfully, keeping her expression steady. "What made you think—"

"You told them, didn't you, of all the stuff that happened yesterday?" asked Bravekit, furiously looking at her as if he was about to attack. "You told them that I acted twice my age, and that I already knew how Bravestar died!" Demonkit's eyes widened, the shock forcing her heart to race.

Demonkit did do that, but she didn't think it would lead up to Duskfeather telling Blackstar. This is bad, this is bad! I didn't mean to make ThunderClan suspicious! I just needed someone to talk to! She was scared of what her brother might think, and what her mother might say. She didn't mean to make all of this happen. . .

"I-I—"

"So you did do it!" Bravekit accused, his eyes narrowed as a flaming bit of fury waved through him. "I can't believe this! You knew I wanted to keep that a secret, but no, you just had to tell someone!" Demonkit had not seen her brother so angry, not even in the small arguments they had normally.