Chapter Twenty-Eight

Evectri flew toward his father as fast as he could, watching as Negro dove toward him. Once again, the silver prince swerved out of the way, allowing his father to get away. Negro stopped his momentum through the air with his wings as Evectri swiftly turned himself around.

Evectri pulled himself through the air with his wings, shooting toward his father who had finally turned around. Negro dove, trying to get away, but the silver prince flattened out his wings and slowed himself down before also diving. As Evectri chased his father, he steadied himself through the air.

Negro suddenly slowed to a speed equivalent to a gliding hawk, forcing Evectri to bring his wings back to try and stop himself. However, Negro used his own move against him and back flipped. Evectri felt claws enter his back, and as he hissed at the pain, he found that his wings could not hold the strain.

Evectri fell through the air, his wings unable to find the upward drift to keep himself from falling. He was only a tail-length from the ground when he finally found the drift. Evectri flattened out his wings, straightened himself up, and allowed the soft, invisible tornado to bring himself higher into the sky.

Evectri's amber gaze searched for his father, but found out only too late that Negro was soaring toward him. The silver prince yowled as the bat-like Volan crashed into his body, soon pinning him against a tree. Evectri hissed as Negro raked his back claws through his silver skin, angry as he noticed a smirk on his father's face.

"Is this familiar, Evectri?" Negro asked mockingly. "The pain of being ripped apart?" Evectri growled, kicking his father's stomach. This forced the black Volan to let go slightly, which allowed Evectri to slip down easily.

As he fell once more, he found himself on his back. He waited a few more moments before kicking the tree. Evectri shot through the air, twisting his body so that he was no longer upside down. The silver prince flapped his wings hard, listening as his father followed him.

I'm faster, but he's stronger, Evectri thought to himself. I can't use that to my advantage—not in the sky, at least. Wait—I'm more agile! At least I think I am. Evectri glanced behind him, memorizing the distance he had with his father.

The silver prince sped toward the great oak before drifting downward. After that, he twisted around so that he was facing the opposite direction. Then he sped down as fast as he could. Negro did the same movement he did, following the silver prince downward.

Evectri continued to head straight toward the ground, and as he'd thought, Negro went only two fox-lengths to the ground before pulling himself to a stop. The silver prince smirked, still going down. Then, about only a half tail-length from solid earth, he pulled his body parallel to the ground.

Evectri flew like this until he was sure that his father was following him. Two fox-lengths away. Evectri calculated the distance Negro was behind him before planning his attack further. The silver prince allowed himself to get a little lower.

Evectri ran on the ground for a few seconds before leaping forward. After this, he leaped and jumped straight up toward his father. Negro stopped flying, stunned as the silver prince shot toward him. The silver prince's head managed to crash into Negro's stomach, forcing the wind out of the bat-like Volan.

Evectri quickly flattened out his wings before soaring away from his fast father. Negro yowled with fury, his amber eyes searching for the silver prince. Evectri twisted and flew away quickly.

'When a cat is angry, furious, sad, or protective their speed and strength may be completely transformed—maximized by two times if one is lucky,' Evectri remembered from his passed lessons. I know this, but why was it important in that lesson? Just as he thought this, Evectri heard Negro flying fast behind him, and so quickly, the silver prince dove. That didn't help, for Negro had the reaction time that he couldn't believe.