Chapter Thirty-Two

Demonfang didn't know what had happened when she saw it. Evectri might have been under the impression that only he would see the memory, but he was so wrong. She could see the event clearly, and that distracted her from what she was supposed to be doing.

"Tavo! Come on! You have to keep running!" claimed a small, silver tabby Volan with amber eyes. "It's part of the game!" Behind the tom was another deep brown tom who seemed to be struggling.

"You're...too...fast...Evectri..." breathed the brother. "Slow...down..." Evectri gave a mischievous smile over his shoulder before running faster. The silver prince eventually made it through two jungle trees very close together and slowed down, his brother at least a tree-length away.

Evectri chuckled playfully as his brother finally made it to the finish line, and immediately he nipped Tavo in the ear. It was obvious he was trying to play, but his brown brother didn't seem to share the same energy level.

"Evectri," Tavo groaned. "How can you still be so excited? That was hard!"

"And just think, in one half moon, we'll be flying!" Evectri stated excitedly.

The scene changed to a clearing in which several young cats were found flying. Evectri and Tavo were there too, but Demonfang was still trying to get over how cute Evectri was when he was younger, and how different his personality was now. What had changed?

"Good job, sons!" claimed a voice—the memory must have been through Negro's eyes. "Evectri, try the twist, and Tavo, try the loop!" Both toms—now about three or four moons old—nodded before doing what they were told. Tavo flawlessly did the loop, and Evectri glared from the side lines. It was playful, but competitive.

Evectri flew in circles for a bit before flying upward in a perfect spiral motion with his wings folded in. After he was done, he flattened out his wings and looped backwards just like his brother had done. The silver prince smirked as he landed right beside his brother, and Tavo glared.

"That was amazing, Evectri!" claimed a black tom. A brown and white she-cat landed beside him with bright eyes.

"That was awesome!" the she-cat praised.

"Yes, yes, it was good, but you weren't following orders," Negro growled to his son. "And how did you learn that, anyway? It takes moons to figure out how to do it." Evectri looked up to his father with innocent amber eyes.

"I taught it to myself," Evectri answered smoothly. The younger Volans stared in awe at the silver prince, but Negro did not say anything.

Demonfang saw a pretty white she-Volan along with a few elder winged cats. They all seemed to be in a den fit for a king, which made things more enticing.

"This is a bird-brained idea!" the white she-Volan hissed. "He's only four moons old!" Some of the elders gave her reassuring looks, and it was obvious they thought the same.

"I know, love, but you must understand that the future King needs protection," Negro reminded everyone. "Evectri is perfect for that—he has your lean body and the intelligence to being a wonderful moon-warrior." The white-Volan, whom seemed like his mate, shook her head.

"But it's so dangerous!" she cried. "I won't let him go through all that pain. No, its' not for my little kit..." Negro sighed.

"Leona, Evectri can end this war," Negro urged. "He has enough strength and battle strategy to make all of this hurt end. But if he's not trained, he won't be able to." Leona's bright blue eyes met her mate's, and they were narrowed tightly.