Chapter Eleven

_________________________________

H o l l o w s   I n
T    I    M    E
_________________________________

07/09/16
Twelve months ago

I drew him the next week. Jameson. I wanted to be able to remember him, because I knew that I'd die before I'd get to see him again. I'd be old and wrinkly, my life memories fading away from me in a form of dementia, or just old age, but I'd still have this picture, and somehow, I knew that I'd never forget Jameson. The cut was just that deep.

Aside from my new found art abilities, I had school today—it was Monday, and apparently 'time to get back into the swing of things', according to my mother. And so, I shimmied into my school uniform, barely noticing how weird it felt as it hung to my frame. My nervous hands trembled, preventing me from being able to tie my bloody tie. I gave up in the end, leaving it undone as I let out a huff.

I trudged downstairs, with both my mum and dad waiting for me at the bottom. They had been hesitant about school at first, but, then again, they weren't the hesitant kind. They were the 'back to business kind', and that's exactly what they wanted me to be as well. As they fussed over me—my appearance, my bag, my food—I saw Alexi lurking in the shadows in the lounge, just standing and watching as she stood by the window. Our eyes met and she gave me a sympathetic look, which didn't mean much when I could tell she was holding back laughter.

Finally, my parents let me go, and I made a run for it. Alexi joined me shortly after, stumbling down the pavement as she cackled. I shook my head at her, my resolve fading for half a second as I hurled a glare at her.

"Your parents have seriously improved their game." Alexi retorted; I shoved her off the pavement.

"'Improved' is a controversial." I responded as Lexi caught herself, just before she went flying off the pavement.

"Yeah, well at least they're at home to see you off to school in the morning now." She told me with reasoning, sounding as if she was actually being serious—for once.

I eyed her, "You know that's all going to change, right?"

Lexi eyed me back, "Maybe not, Sky-High." I could hear the smirk in her voice as she spoke another one of her stupid nicknames.

"Will you stop with that?" I complained, shoving her again. She wobbled, but caught herself before she fell into a car.

"What about those horrible ones you had for me?" Lexi teased back, poking out her tongue.

"What nicknames?" I asked her.

"Remember that one joke—"oh hey, there's a Lexi"." She rested her case when I pursed my lips. Then I burst out into laughter.

"Hey," I spoke through the chuckles, "That was a good one." I told her, my giggles never fading. Lexi just smiled down at me—she had grown since I had left, somehow. Maybe I just never noticed it, but Lexi was taller than me—only by a few inches, but still.

"So, how's your notebook?" Lexi asked ever so casually, rolling up her sleeves.

I frowned, "How do you know about the notebook?" I responded, but Lexi didn't grace me with a reply—she instead tapped her nose.

"What are you writing in it?" She asked as we neared the school gates.

I froze. "You know, loads of great novels." I joked, feeling grateful that my non-existent humour got me out of a difficult situation.