Chapter Fifty-Six

^ listen to our angel (Madison Beer, casted as Bria) ^

________________________________

H o l l o w s I n
T I M E
________________________________

I stared at her. Her eyes flickered over to mine, and the moment they met mine, they filled with tears. A large grin overtook her features and she stifled a laugh. She pulled me in for a tight embrace. I was limp in her arms. I couldn't help it. The last time I had seen her, she failed to save my life. But isn't that just the same with Jameson?

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just blaming people I shouldn't be blaming. Maybe I'm getting distracted.

She pulled away but held me at arms length. Then, she grasped onto my left hand and turned me around, closing the door behind her.

I couldn't form words. She was the embodiment of a past I could no longer reach. But she was still my best friend. And I couldn't deny that.

Then Jameson decided to make an entrance.

"Hey, Sky, if Harry is here then–" he froze when he saw that it was not Harry who accompanied me. Jameson's eyes remained on her longer than I thought necessary. So I deemed that moment the right to time to introduce the two pillars of my life, both past and present, to each other.

"Jameson," he looked over at me. "This is Alexi." I told him, but he just stared at her.

"Alexi," neither of them broke their eye contact. "This is Jameson." They didn't say anything.

"Now onto more pressing matters," I said, seeming to draw Alexi out of her trance. "Why the hell are you here?" Alexi laughed as she turned to face me, then her laughter halted. She stared at something behind me.

"Have you cut your hair, Sky-High?" She asked, fingering the shortened locks of hair.

"Yes. But that wasn't the pressing matter I was talking about." I remarked. Alexi held up her hands in surrender, then shoved them in her jean pockets.

"That's not important right now." She said, glancing over at Jameson and holding the gaze for a moment too long. Then her eyes flitted back to mine, and she flashed me a wide grin. "I just want us to have some friend time. I've missed you, Bug." She spoke, her eyes glossing over.

I threw a wink her way, as if slipping into old habits. As if we had never been torn apart. "You too, About." I teased tauntingly.

Alexi made a face. "Let's stop insulting each other's surnames on this glorious day of reunion." She threw her hands up in the air and I laughed, then pulled her in for a tight embrace. Her fingers weaved through my blonde hair, whilst my face was cloaked in her thick, almost black, cascading waves. I'll tell you only once, and it can't be forgotten, Alexi Abbot wins the most beautiful friend award.

"I'm so sorry about what happened–" Alexi whispered into my ear.

"–it's fine." I interrupted. "It's all okay now." I squeezed her tight, tears dropping from my eyes as I realised that what I told her was a lie.

She stared at me for a while, just watching the tears fall. Then tears of her own formed in her eyes. I frowned, trying to pinpoint the moment she grew upset, and why.

"Sky," she began, looking more scared than I had ever seen her look. Terror is not something Lexi knows. Except for that one day. March twenty-eighth, last year.