Chapter Fifty-Nine

"You can try to hold the truth back, but we all know that it just wants to be free."
—me (finally added a quote after a good three months lmao y'all are welcome)
________________________________

H o l l o w s I n
T I M E
________________________________

"Or was." Jameson interrupted my trail of thoughts. I hummed. That's a possibility too. I started pacing.

"She sprung on him in the hall. Something about him not keeping a promise." I walked back over to the papers, peering at Jameson.

"What could that promise be?" I asked.

Jameson shrugged. "I'm as clueless as you are. I never knew she even existed, never mind knowing that she's your Guardian."

I shook my head, turning to look at the group gym class photo. "I still can't get my head around that. I had a Guardian before I even knew what a Guardian was." I frowned, turning to face Jameson once more as he started to collect up the papers.

"So why was I brought to the Academy?" I asked him. He looked up at me, and then his eyes averted as if he was in thought.

"If I already had a trained Guardian, who was female, and knew everything about me—then why did I need to be brought to the Academy?" I asked, both to myself and to Jameson.

He frowned and returned the papers to a folder. "That's a good question." He opened a drawer and stuffed the folder in. "Let's ask someone who actually knows the answer." He told me, before grabbing my hand and gesturing for me to be quiet. He opened the door carefully, then peeked out to check the corridor. After assessing the hallway, he pulled me out in one swift move. And then we were walking.

"Who?" I asked, finally, as we blended back into the crowds.

"An authority figure who just returned to the Academy. And she probably owes you." Jameson explained, never letting go of my hand. I don't think he realised he was still holding it

I frowned. "Who?" I echoed. Jameson pulled me to the side suddenly and I nearly tripped. But Jameson cushioned the fall and we remained in the shadows, near the entrance of the school. Then the doors swung open, fierce frozen air blasted in. And then appeared a blonde, dressed in all black. Everyone shifted, moving out of her way.

"Why does she owe me?" I whispered to Jameson, watching Guardians trail behind her.

"Because she is the Head Guardian at this Academy. Yet she still couldn't save you." Jameson responded as he tugged me out from the shadows. Then we followed her. We followed Kate Wright.

"So where did she go?" I asked Jameson as we watched her enter her office.

"Back to your hometown." Jameson answered. I stared ahead. My hometown. I gulped.

"To do what?" I asked as Jameson took a step forward, ready to approach the Guardians that had flocked her upon her arrival.

He paused to answer. "To find out what went wrong. To find out why no one could save you until it was too late." He glanced back to the Guardians who were shifting uncomfortably. "And my guess is that she didn't find an answer." With that, he turned and approached the Guardians.

They conversed for a while and I glanced around nervously, crossing my arms and holding them close to my chest. Once again, I am forced to dig up my past with a spiked shovel.

Then Jameson turned around and beckoned me over. I walked over hesitantly, seeing the Guardians at the door scrutinise me as if they were trained to judge and not to protect.