Chapter Thirty

^ Alexi Abbot (if you seem to have forgotten what she looks like) ^

________________________________

H o l l o w s   I n
T    I    M    E
________________________________

What's done is done. I can't change the past.

Could I change the future, though? Or will I be laid in a grave full of crawling guilt? You reap what you sow. And I sowed a whole lot of terrible things. It must be, then, that a whole lot of terrible things will happen to me. Will I die? Will I suffer? Will I have my heart broken like I so insensitively broke Carters?

I can never know. The future will tell me, eventually. The only question to ask now is: will I like what I'm told?

29/03/17
Five months and six days ago

"Girls!" Alexi and I jumped, and I nearly fell off the railings. We looked up to see a teacher marching on up to us.

Today had been one of my last school days. There had been a mix up, a miscommunication. My school didn't want me to go until we finished for the Easter holidays. Which was a problem since my parents were led to believe that I was leaving school in January.

Nonetheless, I was finally let off the hook, set to leave as soon as the Easter holidays began, this Friday. I was excited, kind of. I was mainly grateful to be away from all the repetitive rumours that I had been hearing around school lately. But today's school day had gone terribly wrong. The school was being shut down for the day. And no one knew why.

"You should be gone by now! The school has been dismissed!" She continued to storm up to the railings, until Alexi grabbed my hand and yanked me off them.

"Leave! Go!" The teacher began waving her hands around, her eyes flickering between us and the landscape around us. Was she looking for something? Perhaps the reason that school has been evacuated is more sinister than I realised. But Lexi didn't give me enough time to figure out what was going on as she dragged me away from the gates.

When we were about two metres away from the school, I spoke up. "What a nutcase." I laughed. But Lexi didn't join in. I frowned, turning to face her. Did she even hear me? She was looking straight ahead, eyes narrowed in concentration. Then they widened again as she glanced around us.

"Hey," I spoke. Lexi switched between looking at a hedge, to looking at me with a frown.

"I'm sure it's nothing." I said, trying to calm her. She stared at me. I wondered what she was thinking. Then a wide grin broke out on her face as she wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into her side.

"Yeah, I'll protect you!" She joked, pulling me in so tight that I swear my lungs ceased to exist. She released me and I laughed, fixing my now disheveled hair.

"Of course." I said with a chuckle. Lexi rose an eyebrow; I punched her jokingly in the arm.

"I'm your best friend!" I yelled as we rounded a corner, starting to walk down my road. "You lovee me!" I dragged out the word 'love' and Lexi shook her head at me, though a laugh rose to her lips.

The word 'love' had been a funny one for me recently. I had loved a lot of people at the Academy. I had also lost them, too. Loving and losing isn't fun, and so I've tried to move on. My parents and Alexi have become a big part of my life now, and I've been trying my hardest to spend as much time as I can with each of them. Firstly, to make up for the five months I lost. But, secondly, to try to rid myself of the memories of the people I had lost.