Chapter Fifty-Seven

^ HAPPY FOUR MONTHS! As celebrated by our holy queen ^

________________________________

H o l l o w s   I n
T    I    M    E
________________________________

Silence hit us like a truck. What? I frowned, looking between Harry and Alexi.

"You guys know each other?" I asked. A weird feeling washed over me and I found myself holding my breath. This was eerily similar to the moment that Jameson realised that my therapist and I knew each other upon arrival.

But this makes no sense. In order for Harry to know Alexi, they would have had to meet before Harry became a Guardian. And Lexi has never told me about anyone with a dirty blonde mop of hair before. Additionally, Harry had no clue who I was when I got here. So the only way that they can know each other is if Lexi had been to the Academy before. Which means...

Lexi turned slowly to face me, as if sensing that I knew what she had been hiding from me. I had two theories: my best friend is either a 'Special One' or a Guardian. And the look of regret on her face proved one of those theories true.

I stared at her. Her expression grew rueful as if she knew my reaction before it happened.

"Sky–"

"Were you assigned to guard me?" I shot at her.

Alexi opened and closed her mouth. "I–"

"Were you?" I repeated. Lexi clamped her mouth shut and ducked her head. Behind her, Jameson held his bedroom door open for Harry, which he walked through and disappeared. There was hesitation before Jameson left too. And then it was just us.

Alexi looked up, tears welling in her eyes. I knew the answer before she told me. "Yes, but–"

"So the only reason you're close to me, is to guard me?" I choked on my tears and watched as Alexi's first tear fell. She didn't respond.

"Were you ever my friend?" I asked her next, really not wanting the answer—because I already knew what it was.

"Sky, it's not like that, yes I am your Guardian but–"

"Get out." I seethed. Lexi's mouth hung open as she comprehended what I just said. Then she frowned.

"What? But–"

"Get out!" I screamed, the tears falling fast. Lexi watched them with sadness. She hesitated, but then nodded, averting her gaze. Then she left.

I stood, feet planted to the ground, perfectly still for what seemed like hours.

Then someone touched my arm. I jumped away.

"Sky," they came into my line of vision. It was Jameson. He reached out, his fingers seemingly going towards the hair that fell across my face.

I jolted, recoiling backwards. "Don't touch me!" I screeched. Jameson jerked his arm away, as if he had touched fire.

"Did you know?" I yelled, my now spilling tears jarring my words. "Did you know about Alexi?" I reiterated, sobs tearing through my body.

Jameson shook his head violently. "I had no idea." I must've looked like I didn't believe him, because he took a step closer. "I promise." He told me.

I clamped a palm over my mouth as I sobbed, closing my eyes and feeling tears slide down my skin.

When I opened them again, Jameson was staring at me, eyes tight with concern, and Harry was lingering at the threshold of Jameson's room. His lips upturned slightly to give me a small smile as his eyes met mine.