Chapter Seventy-One

^ when Jace says you have to ______
Oops spoiler ^

"The wheel is turning. Always turning."
—okay where is this quote from bc I've heard it everywhere and I can't take credit for this
________________________________

H o l l o w s I n
T I M E
________________________________

"Sit down." Jace commanded.

"Is that optional?" I asked, anxiety burning up inside of me as I paced backwards and forwards. I bit at my nails, or rather, what was left of them. I had been fretting for a while now, knee bouncing, finger gnawing, and now we were on pacing.

Jace didn't reply to my comment, but instead tried to reason with me. "Is it so bad that you will finally be able to put a face to your attacks?" He asked.

I spun around, eyes wide as I stared at him as if he was crazy. "Yes!" Then I began pacing again.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because." I replied with a childish defiance. I couldn't see Jace's expression in that moment, but I was pretty sure that he was glaring at me.

I sighed. "Because it means that I have to live with knowing which person stabbed me in the back. Literally." I groaned, stopping at the window and leaning my forehead against the cold glass—it was mid November, and so Christmas was quickly approaching. Though, I think it's safe to say that I'm not exactly in the mood for gift-giving.

"They stabbed you in the back?" He asked.

I stopped pacing. "Well," I paused. "Not exactly." Then I continued pacing.

I heard Jace sigh. "Look, the way I see it, you'll be one step closer to safety. By knowing your enemy, you can eliminate your enemy."

I rose an eyebrow, "And where's that from? Jameson's handbook on guarding?" I joked.

Jace frowned. "No. I just made it up." Looking as if he was knee deep in some deep mid-life crisis; I decided to just ignore him and drown in my own thoughts.

I grabbed fistfuls of my own hair, then let go, shaking out my limbs as if I had just been forced into a marathon. "Okay. It's okay, it's oka–ah!" And that's how I nearly died from a heart attack after Jace's watch alarm went off.

I caved into myself. "I don't want to go." I complained to Jace, silently hoping that he'd tack on an extra twenty-four hours onto my time.

"Well, you're going to have to; it's my lunch break." He told me, collecting up his things.

I pouted. "You'd really choose food over me?" I asked in a faux upset voice, though I'm sure that most of it was real.

Jace eyed me. "Sky, there are many things that I would choose you over—food just isn't one of them." He told me, slipping his jacket on.

"That's mean." I said, having a full-on strop.

Jace smiled, "Whatever you say." He said, placing his bag on the table and taking out his keys and what I assumed was his money.

He advanced towards the door, so I stood in front of it. Before he could say anything, I launched myself into him.

"Please let me stay here forever." I begged, wrapping my arms around him and clinging onto him as if the world was about to end.

He pushed me away. "Sky, I'm not your Guardian."

I looked into his eyes. Those deep blue eyes, with little flecks of hazel, that appeared as emerald under the right kind of light.