Chapter Fifty-Four

"I can feel it. It's slow, and faint. But it's there. My heart is beating."
—me I'm tired please help
________________________________

H o l l o w s I n
T I M E
________________________________

The doctor smiled at me as I pulled the blanket tighter around my shivering frame.

"You should be fine." He reassured me. "But you need to take it slow and take a warm shower as soon as possible." He instructed, and I nodded. I excused myself and made my way to the reception, where Bria and Jonah were waiting for me.

"I'm all good." I told them before they could ask. Bria smiled and pulled me in for a hug.

"Sky–" Jonah begun, but he didn't get to finish as a commotion broke out behind us. I turned to see Jameson running in, having smashed the doors to their death.

I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Sky!" He breathed out frantically, grasping onto my arms as he met me in the middle of the reception.

"Are you okay? I've heard rumours about what happened." His eyes ran frantically over my frame, first taking in my damp hair, then the blanket that I pulled tightly around me.

"You're a few doctors checkups too late." I shot at him, completely deadpanned.

Jameson frowned at my attitude. "But you're okay, right?"

I grunted. "Yeah, after Jonah pulled me out from an ice cold lake, performed CPR and–"

"Wait," Jameson turned his attention to the Guardian who had actually saved my life. "You performed CPR on her?" He asked. There was a look in his eyes that I didn't quite recognise. I couldn't tell if he was jealous, or confused, or shocked.

"No." Jonah replied, frowning. "She did." He gestured to Bria. My eyes widened. I had just assumed that–

"My bad." I muttered under my breath as Bria gave Jameson a short wave from where she stood beside me.

I hooked my arm through Bria's. "We should be going." I announced before taking steps forward. Jameson reached out to stop me. I flinched away, but then reconsidered my choices, and leaned in.

"Talk to Jonah," I whispered to him and I saw him tense. "Apologise for assuming that he'd put my life in danger, then thank him for preventing my life from danger." I advised, leaving him standing on his own, striding off and taking Bria with me.

We were walking down corridor after corridor, getting odd looks from pretty much everyone. After a very eventful day, it would seem that I've missed lunch, and I am no longer in any condition to endure the final two periods of the school day.

Bria offered to walk me back to my dorm, and was very adamant about it, so I reluctantly let her be my guide.

We had been walking in an awkward silence for too long. So I spoke up.

"Did you really perform CPR on me?" I asked Bria, seeing her turn her head to raise an eyebrow at me.

"Yeah," she responded, "why? Was the experience horrid?" She asked, humour laced into her tone, though I had a feeling she was using her comedy to cover up the fact that her cheeks were flushing. I ignored her intentions and stifled a laugh, shaking my head.

"I didn't even know what was going on." I told her and she nodded, pulling my arm closer to her.

"Well, I didn't want Jonah to lose anymore oxygen, and I also didn't want someone to spot him in a compromising position with you." She explained, as if I hadn't nearly been caught in a compromising position with another Guardian on many occasions.