Chapter One-Hundred: Part Three

"With a mind like this, there is a lacuna in my time. My memories have holes; my past has burn scars, and my future is an abyss of nothingness."
—'Hollows In Time', Prologue

________________________________

H o l l o w s   I n
T    I    M    E
________________________________

T h e E n d:
Denouement
Part Three/Three

I felt the excitement that was coursing through my veins morph into nostalgia. It took me back to only a few hours ago.

Music, lights, gowns, and revolutions.

—anon: 01/01/18

An echo of a door shutting in the corridor briefly startled Jace and I as we still stood in each other's embrace, and then I heard shuffling and a voice.

"Come on, lovebirds, we don't have time to waste."

The voice was snide, and I felt as Lexi brushed past me.

Confused, I whisper-shouted after her, "This isn't the order we're supposed to go in!" When she didn't respond, I assumed she was no longer near us, and although in the pitch black darkness, I turned to where I thought Jace was.

He placed a hand on my back and gently coaxed me forward. "Go, I'll take the back."

I had no time to be unsure.
I had no time for anything but to run.

Soon, I arrived at Kim's base, where Kim, Lexi and Jameson awaited me, each holding torches. And Kim seemed to be in the middle of a war between force Jameson and force Lexi.

"..shouldn't have just left her!"

In their uncanny, Guardian ways, they all knew I was standing there as soon as Jameson finished talking.

He quickly embraced me. "Are you okay?" He asked, holding me tight. I nodded against his chest, feeling his already racing heart grow uncontrollably quicker.

Footfalls were soon heard and I knew Jace had made it. Breaking away from Jameson, I saw him approach Lexi, taking a torch that she held out to him, all signs of bitterness gone as she watched him. Therapists have cool abilities like that.

After that, and after we all acknowledged the thick tension in the air, Lexi shoved a torch into my grasp, and then we moved on.

The next part was easier, until Kim got a message from Bria that she didn't want.

"Wait, wait!" She yelled to Lexi, who undoubtedly just wanted to stay on the move. The girl retreated with a huff, shimmying into the middle of our new forming circle, taking Kim's phone from her and reading the message.

Her face fell.
She gulped.

"Jace, contact Harry's base—make sure everything's fine on their end." She ordered. Jace complied instantly, whipping out his phone and punching at the screen.

"Jameson, emergency scout."

"No." Lexi's head snapped round as she threw him a glare at his response.