Chapter Sixty-Six

________________________________

H o l l o w s   I n
T    I    M    E
________________________________

"Hey, so you know you're teaching me self-defence..?" I started up a conversation as Jameson and I walked towards our dorm room. Dinner had gone...well...and never came back.

To say the least, Lexi had made it awkward, not that we acted differently after it, but there was certainly a different air around us.

Jameson turned to smile at me, "Your body." He told me, reminding me of my embarrassing mistake. I closed my eyes. For Gods sake, Sky, why did you ever introduce the subject as your body?

Nonetheless, I nodded. "Well, I was thinking–"

"–oh, that's far too dangerous; stop." Jameson interrupted. I gaped at him. But I didn't know whether it was because I was offended, or if it was because he had actually made a joke. My gape turned into a glare and Jameson held up his hands in defence, though his face looked humoured.

"As I was saying, I was thinking that perhaps erm..."

"Have you stopped thinking?" Jameson asked. So I slapped him on the arm. He burst out into laughter, and I gave him a confused glance. His eyes were alight. Alight with joy. But why?

I shook my head. "Now that I'm seventeen," I started and Jameson hummed, as if to gesture for me to continue. "Well, back home, I'd be allowed to start learning to drive." The more I said, the quieter more voice was, because the more I spoke, the more I realised that I sounded weird. There was a silence that followed.

"No." Jameson said, and then said nothing more.

Anger boiled up in me, but I tried to contain it. "So you can teach me self-defence but draw the line at driving cars?" I asked, disbelieved by what I was hearing in this moment.

Jameson nodded.

"Oh for the sake of many people in heaven, what the hell is wrong with driving a car?" I asked, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Self-defence prevents your death, and driving puts you in a position where death is more likely." Jameson explained.

I groaned. "Because there's more of a chance of me dying whilst driving than there is in my normal pursuit of life." I commented out of frustration. Jameson stuck the key into the door and said no more.

Once we were in, I slipped off my shoes with a sigh, my socks following after—of which I threw into the laundry bin.

"Would it make you happy to learn how to drive?" Jameson suddenly asked. I frowned, turning around to see him looking conflicted as he gazed over at me.

I nodded. "It would." I told him. He seemed to consider this for a few seconds. Then he sighed.

"Fine. You can learn to drive. But I'm teaching you." I almost couldn't believe what he was saying. And then I squealed, jumping over to him with a huge grin on my face.

"Thank you, thank you!" I shouted as I went, then, I fell into him for an embrace, "Love you, love–"

I froze, realising what I had just said. I pulled away slowly, seeing Jameson look slightly dazed and confused.

"That was..er..I mean–"

"I know," Jameson said, backing away, "you didn't mean it." It wasn't the words that he spoke, but the expression on his face that caused the pang in my chest. His face held an expression of sadness, regret, pain.