Chapter Eighty-One

"The worst part isn't that you lied to me, it's that I actually believed that you were someone that you're not."
—made by me
________________________________

H o l l o w s I n
T I M E
________________________________

"Alexi, would you like to explain your side first?" I offered, taking a seat on top of one of the tables; this will be a long process.

She sighed, turning away from mine and Jameson's judgemental glares. "There was a threat left for Sky," she said, "in the form of a note."

"And what did it say?" Jameson asked, a bitter edge to his voice.

Lexi closed her eyes, leaning against the wall. "'Something wicked this way comes.' Twenty-nine slash five slash seventeen."

I snickered. "They quoted Macbeth?"

Both Jameson and Lexi turned to give me odd looks, but only Lexi spoke up with a shake of her head, "Only you would find that funny."

Jameson ignored us both, stepping towards Lexi and almost sizing her up. "And what possibly insane part of you completely ignored this threat?" He asked, voice so deadly that a shiver ran down my spine, even though his anger was not aimed at me.

Lexi frowned. "I didn't ignore it–"

"Yes. Yes you did." Jameson next said, voice low and threatening. I could tell that he was slowing losing his temper, but something was holding him back. He wanted to say more; he wanted to prove a point, but he was keeping it to himself. Why?

"Why would I ignore that?" Lexi rose her voice, letting her feelings get the better of her.

"Because you obviously have no intuition." I couldn't understand it. Jameson still kept his voice at a calmer volume than hers, but don't let that fool you. He threw all his energy into making every syllable sound like a threat.

Lexi scoffed. "Right, and where were you when this was all happening, huh?" Lexi crossed her arms over her chest defensively. "Found another girl to play with?"

Jameson broke out in the kind of fury that had you trembling in your shoes. He slammed his hand down on the table.

"Don't you dare–"

"–try to figure out what took you so damn long to find your own Special One?" Lexi interjected with a raise of an eyebrow. There was always tension between these two, but I guess it was only so long before they exploded—and the fragments hit me.

Jameson took a step forward, muscles bulging as he clenched his jaw. "What about what took you so damn long?" He returned.

I rolled my eyes, taking steps forward. "Okay, guys; you both took so damn long—so can we resolve this now?" I pleaded. But they didn't move. I began to wonder if they were frozen in the midst of their rage.

"It wasn't my responsibility at the time. She was under your protection." Jameson spoke as calmly as he possibly could. Great, I was ignored.

"Just because she was three hours away doesn't mean that you suddenly lose a charge, you fool." Alexi shot back. I sighed and retreated. There was no use trying to interject now; they were too engrossed in their silly spat.

"And just because you think you're bloody Superwoman doesn't mean you can't report back to the Academy." Jameson's voice rose, but I was no longer concerned with volume.

I took steps forward. "Wait, you never told the Academy?" I asked Lexi. They both turned to face me.

Lexi ducked her head. I took that as a 'no'.