Chapter Forty-Six

________________________________

H o l l o w s I n
T I M E
________________________________

(This chapter is set the day after the last past chapter, a reminder is below)

29/03/17:

The car jerked to a stop. I flew forward. Then someone grabbed my arm, and pressed a cloth against my mouth.

The world drifted away.

But not before I realised that the Guardian I had met wasn't an official Guardian.

They were playing for the other team.
An attacker.
And I had fallen into the trap.

My love for Jameson had gotten me trapped.

28/03/17
Six months and two days ago

"How are you feeling today?" He asks. No matter how used to this routine I was, I was never any less annoyed by those five words.

I sighed. To be honest, no. No, I'm not okay.

Five days ago, my best friend had been dead for exactly seven months. Missing from my life for over half a year. I could hardly live with myself on all the other days of the year, let alone the twenty-third day of every month. I was dreading my birthday.

Fast forward five days, and it's the twenty-eighth. Of March. Ringing any bells?

My lover, my Guardian, and the killer of my best friend turned nineteen on that date. And I sat at home. And cried.

It all came back to me. I had been good at blocking it all out prior to yesterday. But suddenly it was like the whole world was caving in on me and the only place that I had to escape was in the pit of my garden. But there was no space; that pit was also cramped tight with secrets.

I sighed. "To be honest," my therapist looked up from his notes—something he only did when he was interested in what I was saying.

"No." I finished. He placed his pen in the dip of his book and leaned forward as he frowned. He couldn't lie; he was looking forward to finally getting information out of me. You'll find that therapists tend to be overly expressive—or at least easy to read.

"What's on your mind?" He asked after a while. I had a feeling that he had been choosing the right words in his head.

I looked down. "I'm sick of having to keep secrets." I found myself admitting. Secrets. Nothing else, Sky. Pretend you're secretly dating a gang member or something.

"Your secrets, or someone else's?" He asked. Silence followed as I thought about my answer. Technically, the only reason I'm keeping secrets is to benefit the Academy. Then again, I have kept a massive secret for a year now.

That I love Jameson Fahr.

"Both." Was my response.

More silence followed.

"Would someone be in danger if you told their secrets?" He asked. Told their secrets? My head shot up and I peered at my therapist. He didn't think that I would actually reveal the secrets that I had spent seven long months protecting—did he?