Chapter Forty-Nine

________________________________

H o l l o w s I n
T I M E
________________________________

"Sky," Jameson began as we left the reception and I instantly felt as if something was wrong. I frowned up at him. Was it his tone of voice? Was it the way he was scratching the back of his neck nervously?

"There's something else we have to do today." I felt myself cave inwards.

"It's nothing bad, is it?" I asked hesitantly, not sure if I even wanted the answer.

Jameson grimaced. "Just follow me." He instructed. And then he started walking.

We seemed to be walking miles and miles out of civilisation; the chatter within the corridors could no longer be heard as we entered a dimly lit hallway.

"Jameson.." I trailed off nervously.

Jameson looked straight ahead, seeming to be looking for something. "Don't worry, stick with me." He told me. So I did. It grew darker and colder as we walked more of the corridor, and it was in that moment that I began to fear for my life. But I didn't say anything more, I stayed silent and followed Jameson as he had instructed.

We reached a door at the end of a very long corridor and Jameson knocked on it. We didn't get a response. I looked at Jameson and he gave me a sheepish look. Then the door swung open.

And there stood an out of breath Harry Wiscombe.

"Sorry, I was covered in papers." He moved aside so that we could go in. As soon as I walked in, all I could see were mountains upon mountains of paper.

"That, I can believe." I commented, and Jameson stifled a laugh from next to me. Harry walked over to a filing cabinet and patted it.

"Everything you need should be in here, unless there's something else you want?" I frowned but Jameson shook his head.

"No. That's good, thanks." Harry nodded and jumped over a massive pile of folders to get to his desk chair, of which he sat on whilst Jameson walked over to the filing cabinet. He opened the first draw and lifted out all the folders, placing them on the table next to the cabinet.

"I guess I'm not going to school today." I remarked as I walked over to Jameson.

He turned back to give me an apologetic look. "Not unless you want to go to school..?" He asked.

I rose my eyebrows. "What sane person doesn't accept an excuse to stay off school?" I asked, reaching around Jameson and into the filing cabinet to pick up the pile of folders on the top.

"So what exactly are we doing here?" As if I had shot both the boys dead, the room went eerily silent. Jameson gave me a sheepish look.

"Jameson.." I warned. He sighed and handed me a folder. I gave him a curious look but he just thrusted it into my grasp. I frowned, opening the folder, and behold, I was looking at a picture of my hometown. I gasped and nearly dropped the folder.

"This your hometown, right?" Jameson asked, but I was too busy staring at the image to respond. Then I nodded slowly.

"And," he flipped through the pages and stopped on one. I froze when I saw it.