ᴘᴀᴛʜᴇᴛɪᴄ ᴘᴀʀᴀʟʏsɪs.

"These wounds,
Will not heal."

†††

I stared down at the house behind my new one from the upper-level deck, seeing a few Biters shambling about behind fences or against each other aimlessly. It had been three days since I've had contact with Negan. I've seen his trucks drive by on collection days. Which would be today and Friday. It was nice to have peace of mind, even if I knew it wasn't going to last forever.

"Well, maybe we can stop someone who's nice to me so that they can give us some food, waddaya say, Butch?" I asked the now recovering Doberman.

He was watching them as well as we sat back far enough out of sight. He wagged his docked tail, licking my face, "but, the deal is, you have to stay here. I won't risk anyone taking you from me." He whimpered softly, resting his head on my lap. I sighed. He understood me too well.

"Carl?!" I hear a female voice say, "Carl, this isn't funny anymore." I stand up, looking down at the long-haired girl as she held a machete in her hand, scanning for the boy. I walk back into the house, Butch on my heels as I opened the front door.

"Stay." I tell him, watching him sit before I left the safety of my house to get the child before she got herself killed, "Enid, what are you doing out here?" I say, watching her tense up and stand guard as she looked at me.

"Renegade." She sighed, "what are you doing here?" Enid whispered like someone could hear us in the dead silence that was only broken by her yelling.

"I could ask you the same thing." I pull her off the road, "you can't be out here. This is a very used route for The Saviors."

"I thought you were one of them." She looked at me. Hate could have been in her eyes as she watched me, but she just wanted to hear me out more than anything at this moment. I didn't blame her. She was probably scared to be out here without Carl. She was probably more than overjoyed to see me again.

"It's complicated." I frowned, "he found something better." My eyes fall to the ground. I never thought I'd be sad over Negan, but my heart ached just enough when I thought about it now.

"I'm sorry. In my opinion, you can do so much better." Enid put a hand on me. I smiled at her, but it faded when I heard the rumbling of trucks, "I'm on my way to see Maggie at Hilltop."

"Get into that house and stay there. His name is Butch, and he won't bite you." I push her into the gate, stumbling after her up the steps and into the house. I close the door softly, quieting Butch as he did that muffled bark towards Enid. I rush up the steps, getting low as the familiar black truck comes into view.

I walked to the balcony, staying low to the ground and out of sight.

"He doesn't know you're in here, does he?" Enid whispered as we watched the loaded trucks pass by. She seemed amazed that I had a perfect hideout, and no one knew I was watching them on a daily basis. She laid with me as we watch them go by.

"No. And I'd like to keep it that way." I tell her, "they're headed towards Hilltop." We watched half the group break away, driving up the street to Hilltop. Negans truck was headed back home, "you can't go out there alone. Not with that many trucks headed that way." She was lucky Negan didn't turn with them, or she would have been alone on that trip.