ǫᴜɪᴛᴛᴇʀ.

"The smell of blood is stronger
than the burned now,
too strong for the
night wind to blow away."

†††

The heat on my skin forced me awake, choking for air as the ash rained from the sky. My limbs were numb, aching from laying still for far too long. My eyes shoot open, the sky was a dark grey with its angry pieces floating down around me. Fear washed over my skin, my burning skin.

"Enid?" I rasped, "Carl?" I use all my strength to roll over, hearing Biters not too far away from where I laid. I felt like death. There was nothing much left now. I didn't want to be here anymore in that moment that engulfed me.

"Re-Renegade..." I hear Carl, "over here." He sounded like he was in pain. I get up on my weak legs, stumbling forward. Falling to my knees as a sharp pain explodes in my side. My hands shake, touching the now cold hole in my shirt, "are you okay?" He asked me from a distance.

"I think, I'm shot..." I look at my fingers, sure enough, there was blood on my soot-stained fingers, "are you okay?" I didn't care about myself. I wanted him to be okay more than I wanted to come out of this shitty situation I seemed to have gotten us in.

"Yeah, just sore from the blast." His voice was getting closer now, "but Enid left with Maggie and Sasha for home." he informs me, "it's just us now." sadness tainted his voice.

"That's good. But you should have gone with her. Your dad is going to freak out." He came into view, his shirt was burned, his face was slightly burnt and black with soot. He was holding his hand over his bandage-less eye, "I can't believe that happened." he got closer.

"Hilltop is gone. It burned to the ground when that car exploded..." Carl grabbed me by the arms, helping me up the best he could, "Enid got Maggie out before it got worse."

"I'm glad." I groan in pain as I use my stiff muscles to stand, "I'm not going to make it without medical attention. You might as well just leave me here." I could barely put weight on my knees without them giving in to the pain of the hole in my side. I wanted him to let me turn out here so I could shamble my way back to Negan in hopes to make him realize what a shit person he had been to me.

"Renegade, I can't let you die here." He held me up as I leaned on him weakly, "and even if...you don't make it...at least you can be buried in a nice place." Carl got quiet, "Maggie must be devastated. I hope she doesn't lose the baby."

"I saw Carson go with her. He'll keep an eye on her, he's a good doctor..." I fade in and out in a flash, waking up to Carl's face over mine, "what happened?" I was confused.

"You passed out and slipped from my arms." He took off his bag to unzip it and look inside, "I need to wrap you up. Just enough till we can get you to safety." I close my eyes for a second, my head lolling to the side, making me jolt back awake when the warm concrete touched my skin. A figure in baggy clothes comes into view, it stood in the blur of my vision. I grab Carl's arm, making him stop and look at where I was pointing.

"Who is that...?" I asked weakly.

"Daryl?" Carl perked up at the sight of the man, "Daryl, is that you?" My eyes flutter as I nod out again. When I wake up, Daryl was hovering over me, and Carl was wrapping his eye back up.

"You shouldn't be here, Carl." Daryl grunted, "you're in a lot of danger being next to this girl. You're not an idiot, so just leave her here."

"She needs my help, Daryl. She needs to go back to Alexandria. She saved our lives." Carl told him, "if it wasn't for her, Maggie wouldn't have been able to escape alive."