Chapter Eleven

-----------------

Dedication: FlameANDrain14 for the amazing cover! Thank you!

Recap:

"You know, I could have said, sorry to see you sucked out there, non-transfer, but I chose to be polite." I snapped, not being able to walk out and not stand up for myself. "Just because I transferred here, doesn't make me a lesser person than you. Clearly, I'm nicer and a better swimmer. You really should just keep your ugly words to yourself, considering you don't have much else going for you."

Her mouth fell open as she stared at me. Giving her a big, enthusiastic smile back, I turned and strode out of the locker, feeling very accomplished with myself.

I came and I conquered.

And I'm here to stay.

-----------------

A satisfied smirk spreads across my face at seeing Grace Connaway written in neat, cursive writing.

I made it. I claimed my spot on the team.

My eyes travel down further to see who filled the sub position. Zach Bentley. I cock my head to the side. When we were in line to thank the judging panel after the swim tryouts, I heard the principal address the arrogant boy who first spoke to me, by the name Zach.

A little grin made its way onto my face as mentally cheered that the bleached ponytail girl didn't make it. She is a total cow.

"You haven't said anything for about a minute," Harvey stated, glancing down at his watch. "You sure you're feeling okay?"

I turn and beam at him. "I made it."

"I know. You knew you would."

"I'm on the Elite team." I breathe.

"Yes Grace, I think we've established that."

A squeal leaves my lips and I jump onto him. He staggers back, letting out an oomph sound. He chuckles in my ear as I grip him tightly.

"And that's the reaction I was waiting for," he laughs, hugging me back.

I step back, unable to wipe the smile from my face. "This is awesome."

"Totally," he said with fake enthusiasm. I roll my eyes. "You should call your mum."

My face fell instantly before I could control it. "She's probably busy."

"I'm sure she would appreciate the call," he assures me with a soft smile.

With a reluctant nod, I turn from him and withdrew my phone. I dial my mother's number and press the phone to my ear, although there were strict 'no mobile phones during school hours' signs plastered on every wall of the school.

Just as I was about to hang up, she answers. 

"What?" she snapped, sounding irritated. "What's wrong? Are you hurt? Why are you ringing me when I'm at work?"

"Er-" I stammer, sounding like an idiot. I clear my throat and straighten my spine as I feel the hairs bristle on my arms. "I made the team."

"What?" she asks distractedly.

It was obvious she had her phone pressed between her shoulder and her ear while she was occupied doing something else. She did this at home, too, when she was actually there.

"The swim tryouts were yesterday," I explain, my voice lacking the strength it had a few moments ago. "I made it."

"Oh, that's great," she said, her voice sounding slightly static. "No! Don't touch him, that's my patient." she barks out, her tone striking an authoritative tone. "Look, Grace, I have to go. That's great news, I knew you could do it. No! He's being prepped for surgery, don't touch him! Okay honey, bye!"