Chapter Twenty Three

------------------

Dedication: Romanticfoods for the cute photo of Grace and Hayden! Thank you!

Recap:

After my shower, I threw some loose, black track pants on. After rubbing the towel into my hair and hanging it up, I walked back into my room.

I stared at her for a few moments, contemplating my next move.

It didn't take me long, to make a decision.

I crawled into bed beside her.

-------------------

My eyes feel heavy as they flutter open.

I let out a groan as I stretch. Rolling onto my back, I move my head so that I am looking to my left. There is an indent in the mattress. I bite my lip softly, closing my eyes once more.

While asleep, I had felt someone lay beside me. I could feel their hot breath on the back of my neck. I rolled over and buried my head into their chest.

I had slept in Hayden's arms, or, I had a realistic dream that I did. Reaching out, I run my hand over the now-empty mattress. It happened, right? He had laid down beside me. I had pressed my forehead against his defined chest. I felt the heat from his body.

While I was trying to distinguish reality over my drowsy state-of-mind, my phone began to vibrate on the bedside table. Groggily, I reach over.

"Hello?" I mumble sleepily, rubbing my face.

Silence.

"Hello?" I repeat.

"Who is this?" the voice asks. I recognise it, but it was so low and harsh, it is hard to put a finger on exactly who it is.

"It's obviously Grace, you rang me?" I say with a frown.

"I did not ring Grace, I can guarantee you."

Confused, I pull the phone back and squint down at the phone. Instead of seeing my rose-gold iPhone, I am met with a black one. It had "Mia" written across the screen and I let out a snort as it had the rolling eye emoji beside it.

"Oh," I exhale softly into the phone, once having it back to my ear. "Sorry, wrong phone."

"Why the fuck are you answering Hayden's phone?" she snaps and I can see perfectly in my mind the face she would be pulling. Her eyes would be narrowed, her cheeks red, her lips spread into a thin line.

"Because I'm at his house," I point out, my tone blunt. "What do you want?"

"Screw you," she seethes, before the line goes dead.

Blinking, I stare down at the phone. That was random.

Yawning, I place the phone back down and get to my feet. I pad over to his bathroom and run a hand through the angry snarls of my hair. I throw it up into a messy bun, before making my way downstairs.

As soon as I enter the kitchen, I smell dinner cooking. My stomach rumbles embarrassingly loud and I slap my hand to it. I open my mouth to tell Hayden Mia called, but he spoke before I had the chance.

"Was that thunder?" Hayden jokes, sending me his boyish smirk.

That smirk made all thoughts of the random conversation with Mia vanish from my mind.

My insides clench as I stare at him. He looks amazing. Hair messy. Shirtless. He looks so hot right now, I almost have to fan myself.

"Sounded like it," I reply, walking over to him. "Whatcha' cooking?"