Chapter Forty Six

--------------------

Dedication: AcStreetlight for voting, commenting and sending me such a kind message! I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to support me. Thank you <3

Recap:

I gave him a flat stare. "You're a nerd."

"If you get all your work done, I'll buy you dinner. Pizza?"

Instantly, I perked up. "You know the way to my heart, Mr Cameron."

He let out a laugh, swinging his arm around my shoulder as we began to walk back to my house.

"I think I do, Miss Connaway."

--------------------

It felt refreshingly normal to walk into school.

I have my long hair twisted up into a bun, praying that I did it messy enough that you can't notice my bald patch. As both Hayden and I are still exempt from swimming practise, we arrive at school at the same time most others did.

Eyes swivel our way as we walk down the corridor. Our fingers are linked together and it seems like every pair of eyes are drawn to them. I see the whispers on people's lips and the shocked stares. People probably still think Hayden attacked me. I haven't read what the local newspaper has reported. Or should I say, Harvey's father has reported. I like him even less now, broadcasting my story across the entire town, pinning Hayden as a filthy criminal. How he could be the father of one of the nicest and beautiful people I know, baffles me.

"I feel like a celebrity," I state with an eye roll as we reach my locker.

"At least people aren't looking at you like you're a criminal," Hayden mutters, fingering his hair agitatedly. 

"You're not a criminal. These people have known you for years. If they believe the rumours, then they're as stupid as they look. Why would I be dating someone who attacked me?"

He grins, glancing down the hall. "They do look pretty stupid, don't they?"

"They do," I agree loudly, glaring at a group of four girls who are watching eyes with wide eyes and their mouths hanging open.

"You're a mean girl," he teases as they hurry away from us.

I shrug, pulling out my Society and Culture textbook. "There's a fine line with being mean and standing up for yourself."

"Fair point."

"Good morning best friend and best friend's boyfriend," Harvey greets us, his messy hair flopping onto his forehead, his bag slung loosely over his left shoulder. "How's the gruesome twosome today?"

I let out an un-lady-like snort at Harvey's new nickname for us and Hayden frowns at him.

"Fine and yourself?"

"Never been better," he shoots back with a grin. "You know everyone is watching you two and talking, right?"

"I think I would have to be blind not to notice," I remark.

"Hi," a small voice squeaks. We all turn to see Caitlyn standing there with a shy smile. "Welcome back."

"Thanks Caitlyn," I reply with an easy smile. "Do you two know each other?"

Caitlyn nods but Hayden looks at her blankly.

"Hayden, Caitlyn, Caitlyn, Hayden," I wave between them lethargically.

"Nice to meet you," Hayden replies politely, still looking confused at who she is and why she is talking to us.

The bell buzzes overhead and Harvey loops his arm with Caitlyn as they walk in front of us. Hayden made a face at them behind their back, causing me to giggle as we follow them.