Chapter Forty Five

------------------

Dedication: Jakii_003 for voting for all the chapters of this story! Thank you!

Recap:

"You didn't have to, either," I said to her, thinking back to when she helped me with Hayden.

She gave me a weak smile as I walked to the door. As my hand was on the door knob, I looked over my shoulder at her.

"I still don't like you."

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say, Mia."

As I walked out of her room, I was surprised at the genuine smile on my face.

-----------------

"Damn, I was hoping you'd be in a wheelchair."

I give Harvey a deadpan expression. "Gee, thanks."

"It would have been dramatic," he points out with his usual, dorky grin as he opens the passenger door for me.

It feels nice to have the fresh air on my face again. I missed being out in the sun, feeling the warmth on my skin, hearing the wind pass my ears.

After Harvey shuts the door, I rest back into the seat, my eyes closing. I am feeling much better but still tired from everything.

"Are you sure you're going to be all right on your own?" he asks with a frown on his face. "I can reschedule my dentist appointment."

"I'm not going to have a repeat of the sleeping pill situation, trust me," I assure him, sticking my finger in between my skin and bandage, scratching. My left wrist is sprained. I have to wear a bandage for a few days and it's been itchy as hell. "I have a date with Netflix and Nutella. Don't worry about me."

"I really don't have a good feeling about leaving you alone..." he trails off. "You know they haven't found him, right?"

"Yeah, I heard," I reply with a sigh. "He cleared his apartment out."

"That's why I'm worried," he frowns. "That's it, I'm cancelling my appointment."

"Don't. Just come over after. I will be fine on my own."

"What if he comes back, Grace?" he argues, his hands tightening on the steering wheel. "He said he would."

"Harvey, I'll be okay."

He blows out a breath of air as he shakes his head. Silence lapses between us as he continues to drive.

"He didn't come to see you, did he?" Harvey asked quietly.

I had been trying (and failing) not to think about Hayden and the fact that he hadn't come to see me while I was in hospital. I understand why, but I'm dying for a chance to apologise for everything and to thank him for what he did.

"No," I reply softly, looking out the window at the blur of trees and road signs.

Pulling my hand over to his, Harvey gives it a squeeze. I blink back the tears that have been threatening to spill, trying to redirect my thoughts to something else.

As we turn onto my street, Harvey's voice drags me back to reality.

"Grace..." 

I whip my head forward to see Hayden's sleek ute parked out the front of my house with the passenger side window still cracked. My heart thumps loudly as I crane my neck, trying to see him.

Standing there, with dark-washed jeans and a grey shirt, holding a bouquet of red roses, stands Hayden. He greets me with his adorable, dimpled smile as I tumble out of the car.