Chapter Forty Three

-----------------

Dedication: Onthe7teenth for the amazing cover you sent in. Thank you so much, I love it! <3

Recap:

"I love you, too. Buzz if you need anything, okay? I'll come back and let you know when I know more about Hayden."

"Please do."

She gave me a warm smile, before exiting my room.

Exhausted from my long and way too honest conversation with mum, I sank back into the pillows and let my eyes close again.

What a mess my life has become.

------------------

Hayden's POV:

If I stare at the wall any longer, I may or may not go insane.

Letting out a deep exhale through my nose, I lean back onto the uncomfortable bed where I have slept the last two nights.

Like father like son, I suppose. Except I'm not actually guilty, go figure.

Running an agitated through my hair, I think about the topic that has consumed my mind the last two days.

What the hell do I do about Grace?

I'm torn. A part of me wants to just say fuck it and be with her because I love spending time with her. She's amazing, she's funny and my entire body aches when I think about being away from her. Thinking about someone laying their hands on her makes me see red.

On the other hand, a part of me is asking myself not to let myself get wrapped up into this drama again. Focus on my swimming, get myself a scholarship so I can get away from this town.

I'm so mad at her for not saying anything, even though I did ask her not to. I didn't expect it to be Coach Brennon of all people.

Worry consumes my entire body at the thought of her being in the hospital all alone.

Leaning forward so that my elbows are resting on my thighs, I bury my face in my hands, wanting to forget about everything that is going on inside my mind. But most of all, I want to see Grace.

As much as she is driving me crazy right now, I miss her.

I hear the door open and I don't bother moving from my position, assuming it's the guard who does his hourly patrols to make sure I'm still sitting here, wasting my time until they find the dumb bastard who did this to my girl.

My girl...

"Hello Hayden," an all-too-familiar voice greeted. "Long time no see."

My eyes lift slowly.

"Carrie," I reply with my teeth gritted. "Who let you in here?"

"My uncle works here in the administration, remember?" she asks, a faux sweet smile on her face.

"Oh, right," I sigh.

"How are you?"

"How do you think?" I lean back, resting on the wall, folding my arms across my chest, attempting to keep an impassive look on my face.

"I think you're wishing you were at the hospital visiting Grace."

"That's about right."

"What you and her have..." she trails off, looking at me thoughtfully. "Was it like us, Hayden?"

I latch my eyes onto her. "It's better."

Her face twists into a scowl. "Yeah, sure seems like it."