Chapter 28 : Hope

The hag had come and gone many times since and I still control my powers. However, there was a more pressing matter, I overheard the woman talking about Cameron. Yet, I didn't know what. I had to figure out what it was about, right now!

But no matter how many time I asked, she refused to answer me, obviously. The only way was to use my powers on her. I also discovered that I could use my power when I was mostly very angry, so I had to find a way for that bitch to make me furious.

She would soon come to bring me food, so I would have to use that moment or I would have to wait until later and I wasn't patient enough. Not knowing made me restless.

Damn! I totally forgot about my family and friends! I hope Cameron found a good excuse for not being able to come to the family reunion. Oh God, I can already feel my mom's wrath. Please, Cameron, tell me you didn't forget to call her!!

Suddenly, the door appeared and the hag brought a tray with food on top and put it on the table.

"Have you finally decided to join Deus?" she asked the same question again.

"You don't need to ask every time since my answer will always be the same. No." I answered approaching the food not even glancing at her.

I smelled at the food, it smelt so good. Then an idea popped out in my mind.

"Hey, can you taste the food for me?" I asked as I pointed at the plate.

"Why should I?" she raised an eyebrow.

"Because I smelt something weird and... how can I know the food is not poisoned?" I took the fork with a piece of meat before giving it to her.

"You say unbelievable things. Why would we want to poison the Chosen One?"

"Well, there may be many reasons, but you didn't want to eat it, doesn't it prove that it is indeed poisoned?"

She clicked her tongue before taking the fork and took a bite of the meat. "Here, satisfied?"

I tasted the food and even though it tasted amazing, "What is that?! It tastes like shit! Bring me something else." I threw the fork on the plate and walked away before sitting on the bed.

"You ungrateful kid! You should be happy that we give you food to eat!" she screamed furiously.

"I should tell your superior that one of the reasons that I don't want to join is because of you."

"Y-You wouldn't dare..." she weakly answered.

"Then, BRING. ME. SOMETHING. EDIBLE." I ordered as she mindlessly took the tray back and started to walk away.

I got it! But now I'll try to use it again. "STOP!" I shouted and she did. "PUT. THE. TRAY. BACK. ON. THE. TABLE."

She did everything I said to her, so I wanted to know how long my powers would stay on her.

"FORGET. EVERYTHING. ABOUT. TODAY. AND COME. BACK. TOMORROW. WITH. SOME. INFORMATION. ABOUT. THE. DAEMON. KING." I stopped hoping she would indeed come back with some news. "NOW. GO."

She walked away stumbling a little and soon I was alone yet again. However, I could now enjoy the food she gave me.

As I took a bite, I moaned. This is divine! If I didn't hate Deus so much, they could have bought me with this kind of food. I slowly ate everything as I remembered Cameron's food and all the good time I spent with him.

Tears escaped without my consent as I chewed.

。。。

The next day, to my surprise, the woman came back with my lunch, but she didn't say her usual cynical remark or question. But after she deposed the tray, she didn't leave. She stayed idle as if waiting for something.

"So? The news about the Daemon King?" I tried in a firm voice without using my power.

"Yes, there has been some issue concerning the King. It seems like his daemons are killing family members of the Elders. There's also some speculation about a kidnapping and the ransom is to exchange you for the kid." she started to explain as I carefully listened.

Killing? Kidnapping children? I gulped at the thought of it. Had Cameron been killing innocent people? No, they mustn't be that innocent if Cameron killed them right? But kidnapping a kid? But he was the Daemon King... Even before I got betrothed to him in my past life, he was known for all the atrocity he did... But even behind all that, I found a way to fall in love with him... So he couldn't be that bad right?...

Putting that aside, it wasn't the time to doubt him, I'll talk about that later with him. Back to the matter.

"Are you telling me everything?" I asked as I saw some restraint in her tone. "TELL. ME. EVERYTHING. YOU. KNOW."

"There was also some movement near our location. We don't know yet what the source of it is, but we suspect the Daemon King being behind it."

As soon as she said that, my mind started to work fast. "I. WANT. TO. KNOW. MORE. ABOUT. THAT. AND. IF. IT. IS. INDEED. THE. DAEMON. KING. HELP. HIM. TO RESCUE. ME." I ordered. "AND. COME. BACK. HERE. EACH. DAY. TO. GIVE. ME. NEWS." so I could use my power on her and not risk her to turn against me.

I was really hoping that Cameron was behind all that activity. If it is really him, I would do my best to help him rescue me!