Chapter 39 : Doppelganger

My mouth hung open as I watched Cameron walk around. I didn't know he had the power to transform himself! Now I was looking at my reflection. This was so weird.

"How..? Why..? What..?" I searched my words as he watched himself in the mirror.

"I would say we look like twins, don't you agree?"

"Y-You can't do that!" I protested as I frantically shook my head.

"Why?" he said seductively as he walked toward me. I did my possible to stay away from myself... I mean from him, but... But. "You don't like what you're seeing?" he trailed a finger under my chain and puffed out some air against my ear. I shivered. This was so weird and so wrong. It looked like I was seducing myself! "Don't worry, I won't be too rough," he chuckled.

Okay, I had enough... I felt my eyes rolling up and everything went black.

(⊙ω⊙)

I groaned as I woke up. My head hurt and I had a freaking scary nightmare...

I heard some footsteps and who I assumed was Cameron said, "Ah, you're awake. I brought some food," he placed a tray of food on my lap as I sat up.

Without looking up, I thanked him and took the spoon before eating. "Are you okay? You're still a little pale."

"Yeah, just a nightmare..." I confessed not having the energy to evade his questioning.

"What kind of nightmare?"

"One that you transformed into..." I looked up, "Me..." I sighed, "It wasn't a dream, right?"

"Sorry, but you fainted. Now I know why," he chuckled nervously.

"How?"

"How what?"

"Your voice, it's different."

"Well since I can change forms, changing my vocal cords is a piece of cake," he shrugged.

I nodded, of course, a piece of cake. I took a spoonful of soup and it was tasty as usual, but seeing a double of myself watching me eat was unsettling and because of that I lost my appetite.

I sighed and put the fork down. Why did he even change form? What was his plan? Even if he looked like me, it didn't mean Deus would be fooled by it. And the strange ceremony... Was it to help him change form? Or for something else?

Questions after questions... But no answers. It was so frustrating. Every day that I stayed confined in this room, people suffer from the Daemons. At least, I could save an innocent life by exchanging myself with him. Poor kid, he must have been traumatized. But everything was good now, he was back there with his family.

Not to mention the guy imprisoned in that shed. I shivered just thinking about it. I failed to save him...

"Why did you need to look like me?" I asked after I took a sip of my tea.

He smiled, but he didn't say anything at first, "Since you're not entirely Matt neither the Chosen One, the question must be, what are you?"

"What am I?" I repeated incredulously. "I'm Matt, a human, who else would I be otherwise?"

He shrugged, "Who's the one in your head then?"

Now he mentioned it, the voice always said that this man... This Daemon in front of me was our lover. So, why didn't I have any memory of it?

No, no I shouldn't doubt Deus. That monster was trying to make me doubt my purpose.

"It won't work, you won't make me doubt what is good," I replied as I glared at him.

"Who told you what is good? Deus?" he chuckled which made me uneasy since his eyes were ice cold. "Let me tell you something little one, the legend or prophecy Deus told you was only one possibility."

"Then why didn't they tell me anything about it?"

This time he laughed, "Why would they tell the one who had the fate of both of our worlds in his hand? Listen carefully, if you help Deus, I'll probably die and so are you, but the world is safe. If you help me, we both live, but Deus is destroyed and guess what?"

"The world will also be destroyed and the humans enslaved?" I said sarcastically.

"The world will be safe too and no slaves," he answered seriously.

"You're lying!"

"He's not. You're the one who's ignorant and blindly follow an ideal which you know nothing about," the voice added as if he was reprimanding a child.

"Then I want proof!"

"No problem, Sitri will go fetch the books for us."

"No, I want to go and see for myself. What if you Daemons created a book from scratch and everything inside is fake?"

Cameron sighed, "If you wish, but in one condition."

I irked internally. I knew he wouldn't let me out of this room easily, but God, what condition was it?

"W-What is it?"

"A want a kiss."

The voice squealed making me wince. "Say yes! Yes, kiss him! I want to kiss him, let me out!"

I gulped. I wanted to know if what he said was true, but I didn't want to kiss the man. My skin crawled. It was hard to make a rational decision with the Daemon King watching me and the voice shouting right in my head.

"I want to kiss him. Come on, it'll be a waste on you. Let me out!"

"Fine!" I answered to both of them. I closed my eyes and let the other me take control of my body.

"Cameron, I missed you so much!" the voice said and immediately threw himself into the man's arms.

"Matt?" he asked incredulously surely for the change of behavior.

"Yes, it's me!"

"How come? Last time, you talked as if we could never see each other again."

"I didn't have enough power to stay any longer. But I replenished it the last few days." I touched my mate's face with a smile.

"I'll return you to normal, I promise you that," said the daemon firmly.

"I know, I'll always wait for you. No matter how long you take. But for now, kiss me."