Prologue

Water. Rope. They were the first things I saw when I opened my eyes. I instantly shut my mouth and tried to escape, but the knots were too tight to untie, when I was too focused to holding my breath. After about five minutes, I was starting think I was super human or something because I still wasn't dead, and decided to just end it all, I opened my mouth. But then again, after about five minutes, I still wasn't dead. I was very confused, I mean I could breathe underwater, so I proceeded to unchain myself from the bottom of the ocean. I started to swim up, but it was harder than I had expected, I hadn't eaten anything since I'd been there, God knows how long. I finally reached the top and pulled myself up onto the side. It was dark, I couldn't tell if it was early or late. A little girl ran to me and helped me up. She was sweet, I'd never met someone like that before.

"Miss, what's wrong with your teeth?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I replied, very confused. I rolled my tongue over my teeth and felt two of my teeth were longer than the others. I gasped and put my hands over her mouth.

"It worked!" I whispered. I then stood up properly and looked at the little girl. "My teeth have always been funny." I said, with a smile. "Now, my dear, what is your name?"

"Mary-Eunice madam. I'm named after my grandma," The little girl said proudly.

"Well, Mary-Eunice, can you tell me where I can find Elizabeth Collins?" I said, keeping my voice as soft as possible and trying to hide my teeth.

"She lives in the big house I think. It's over there." The little girl pointed down a road on their right.

"Thank you Mary-Eunice. I must go now, but perhaps I will see you again one day?"

"Yes. What is you name, if you don't mind me asking?"

"My name is Julia." I said. "Julia Hoffman,"

I started to walk to the house, the closer I got the more familiar it felt. I walked through the tall, metal gate and caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window. Reflection? I thought vampires couldn't see themselves? Maybe I was just special. Even so, my orange hair was perfect and hadn't gone out of shape a bit. Weird, considering that I had just been in the water. The only noticeable difference was that my once form fitting dress was lose, I hadn't had anything and I was starving. I thought vampires didn't lose weight? Barnabas was in that coffin for almost 200 years and he didn't change? I was probably just more evolved.

I knocked on the door and it was opened by David, he was still as short as I remembered him.

"Dr Hoffman!" He cried. "I missed you!" He wrapped his arms around my waist and I hugged him back. I always liked David.

"I missed you as well, David," I laughed. Then I heard high heels walking against the wooden stairs.

"Julia!" Elizabeth shouted. "Where have you been!" I thought she was really angry at first, but she came and hugged me anyway. "I missed you," she whispered in my ear.

Carolyn walked past the door, her earplugs in and she was doing a weird interpretative dance. The usual Carolyn behaviour I remembered. She didn't notice me, just walked straight past with her eyes closed, almost banging into the door as she walked.

Elizabeth sighed. "Carolyn!" She shouted at her daughter, who clearly didn't hear anything. "CAROLYN!"

Carolyn groaned and took her headphones of. "Mom! I was listening!"

"Dr Hoffman has come back! You are hopeless." Elizabeth said, sighing again at her daughter again and pointing at me.

"Oh yeah." Carolyn said. "I thought I saw orange hair but couldn't be bothered to open my eyes completely.

Carolyn walked off again, and Elizabeth went to her study, gesturing for me to follow her. I walked up to Elizabeth's study and she started interrogating me.

"Julia where have you been? We've all missed you." Elizabeth asked, I could see concern all over her face.

"I had.... Emergency family stuff," I said, thinking quickly. I had remembered Barnabas attacking me, and that was clearly how I ended up at the bottom of the ocean. I wasn't going to tell Elizabeth though, not yet anyway.

"What was it?" Elizabeth asked, concern filling her face again.

"I'd rather not talk about it." I said, standing up and started to walk out of the room. "Oh, and Lizzy?"

"Yes?"

"Can you not tell Barnabas I'm back. Not yet anyway,"

"Why?"

"Doesn't matter why," I said, a little more harshly than I intended. "It's just important."

"Ok then.." Elizabeth said, a little unsure.

A/N

First part! Btw, the name Mary-Eunice was taken from ahs, I just finished season 2 and I'm addicted! This is going to be a barnalia fanfic, so if you don't ship it then sorry cuz this might not be for you. Be sure to check out my other fanfic on Bellatrix Lestrange!