Chapter 10

It had been two weeks, Viola hadn't spoken to Julia at all. The little girl locked herself in her room, wrote in her diary and played with her doll. Julia had announced her pregnancy to the others, Carolyn and David we the only ones who didn't already know and were very excited about it. Barnabas was also excited, he couldn't wait to have a son to play with, even if he wasn't call Barnabas Junior. At first Julia was sceptical of the idea as well, but now she was excited to meet little Hunter.

But Hunter wasn't here now, and Viola needed her help, so when Viola was taken to a funfair with David for his birthday Julia went into her room. She felt bad, she was looking through her things, but convinced herself that it was the right thing to do. Her room was very plain, she hadn't been living there too long, her bed had plain white sheets and two big white pillows. Her doll was lying on the bed, it's blond hair displayed neatly around its head, and it's little pink floral dress was smooth and neat. On the bedside table, there was a little pink lamp and a fancy leather book. Julia took the big book and turned to the first page. It was dated for about 6 months ago, about the time Collinswood was under repair after sustaining heavy fire damage. Viola was seven years old, she looked a little younger, but for her age her handwriting was impeccable, it was cursive and written in black ink.

Dear Diary

Mummy still hasn't come home. It's been three weeks. There's a man outside our house, he keeps knocking and he tried breaking the window, he's scaring me. I think I need to leave, I have packed a bag just in case, it has food, water and my dolly and I'll put this book in it too, when I need to leave. Maybe mummy is at the big house, she told me that the Collins family were horrible but lately she keeps going over there. I don't know why, she wouldn't tell me. But now she's gone. I must leave tonight.

Julia gasped, what had happened? No many people ever went to the Collins house, but apparently her mother had. They had thrown a happening, but so many people had attended it would have been impossible to guess which one was Violas mother.

Julia flicked through the book, and on the last page it had a message from her mother. It said: To Viola, my baby, my little secret.

"My little secret?" Julia said out loud to herself. "Who has a secret child?"

Julia closed the book and sighed. It has no details about Viola that could help her, so Julia closed it. However, on the back cover it had Violas name in gold lettering. It said Viola Floriana Bouchard. Bouchard? That sounded familiar. Julia knew a Bouchard...but couldn't put her finger on who it was. Julia put the book back down on the dressing table, and walked out of the room. Elizabeth would be back in an hour; maybe she would recognise the surname.

It was David's birthday, so the whole family were eating David's favourite meal for dinner, pizza! Everyone sat around the table, Viola sat furthest away from Julia as possible. After that had eaten, Elizabeth came in holding a big chocolate cake with chocolate icing. It had blue candles in it, and David was grinning madly.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear David! Happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang in unison as David blew out the candles. Everyone had a slice of cake, except Carolyn who was on a new diet, and Julia grabbed her opportunity to ask Elizabeth if she recognised the surname.

"Elizabeth, can I talk to you for a moment?" Julia asked quietly.

"What is it?" Elizabeth replied.

"Have you heard the name Bouchard before?" Julia whispered, and Elizabeth's face fell.

"Bouchard, as in, Angelique Bouchard?" Elizabeth said, looking seriously into Julia's eyes.

Julia gasped. My little secret? It all made sense now. Viola was the daughter of the witch.